Adding data to an analytics project (Watson Studio and Watson Knowledge Catalog)
After you create a project, you add data assets to it so that you can work with data. All the collaborators in the project are automatically authorized to access the data in the project.
Assets can have duplicate names, however, you can’t add the same asset multiple times with the same name.
You can add these types of data assets to projects:
- Local files
- Database connections
- Data from a connection
- Assets from metadata imports
- Folder assets from a file system
- Catalog assets
- Files from object storage
Add local files
You can add a file as a data asset from your local system to your project. You must have the Editor or Admin role in the project.
- The files that you add to a project are not checked for malicious code. You must ensure that your files do not contain malware or other types of malicious software that other collaborators might download.
To add data files to a project:
- From your project’s Assets page, click Add to project > Data or click the Find and add data icon ().You can also click the Find and add data icon from within a notebook or canvas.
- In the Load pane that opens, browse for the files or drag them onto the pane. You must stay on the page until the load is complete. You can cancel an ongoing load process if you want to stop loading a file.
The files are listed as data assets on the Assets page of your project.
When you click the data asset name, you can see this information about data assets from files:
- The asset name and description
- The tags for the asset
- The name of the person who created the asset
- The size of the data
- The date when the asset was added to the project
- The date when the asset was last modified
- A preview of the data, for CSV, Avro, Parquet, TSV, Microsoft Excel, PDF, text, JSON, and image files
- A profile of the data, for CSV, Avro, Parquet, Microsoft Word, PDF, text, and HTML files
You can remove the data asset by choosing the Remove option from the action menu next to the asset name. Choose the Refine option to refine the data with Data Refinery.
Add files from the project storage
The storage for the project contains the files you uploaded to the project, but it can also contain other files. For example, you can save a DataFrame in a notebook in the project storage. You can add those files as data assets to your project.
To add data assets from the project storage:
- Click Files on the Find and add data pane. You can filter by searching for asset names. Click the top entry in the list to select all assets.
- From the ACTIONS menu, choose Add as data asset.
From the Files pane, you can select files and then click the ACTIONS menu to do these actions:
- Add a file as a data asset to your project to share with others, for example, a DataFrame you created in a notebook and saved to the project storage. Files in the project storage that are not listed on the Assets page of your project have not been added as data assets to your project.
Delete a file from the project storage. Deleting the file means it’s deleted from the project storage and from the data asset on the Assets page of your project.
- Download a file from the project storage to your local system.