Adding a connection asset to a catalog (Watson Knowledge Catalog)
A connection asset contains the information necessary to create a connection to a data source.
You can add connection assets to these data sources to a catalog. You must have Editor or Admin permissions in a catalog to add a connection asset. For information about differences between creating connections at the service level or at the platform level, see Connecting to data sources.
Connection assets are automatically added when you publish data assets that require connections from a project to a catalog.
To add a connection asset:
- Click Add to catalog > Connection.
If you want to use a platform-level connection, click the From platform tab.
- Choose a data source. If you select an existing connection, the connections details are already available.
Enter the connection information required for your data source. Typically, you need to provide information like the host, port number, username, and password.
Enter credentials for your data source. Select Shared to enter credentials to make the data source and its credentials accessible to all collaborators in the project. Select Personal, if you want each collaborator to provide their own credentials to use the data source.
- Click Create.
After the connection asset appears on the Browse page, click its name to view and update it.
If you edit a connection asset and mark it as private, it has the following effects:
- Users who are not members of the connection asset can view the data previews of data assets that require the connection, but they can’t use those data assets.
- Only members of the connection asset can add the data assets that require the connection to a project.
- Editing asset properties
- Controlling access to an asset
- Adding a data asset from a connection to the catalog
- Adding a catalog asset to a project