Upgrading a Db2 server (Windows)
Upgrading a Db2 server on Windows to Version 11.5 requires that you install a new Version 11.5 copy and then upgrade your existing instances and databases to this new copy.
If you choose to automatically upgrade your existing pre- Version 11.5 copy during the Version 11.5 installation, your instances and Db2 administration server (DAS) are upgraded but you still need to upgrade your databases after installation. If you choose to install a new Version 11.5 copy, you must manually upgrade your instances, your DAS, and databases.
This upgrade task describes the steps for direct upgrade to Db2 Version 11.5 from Version 11.1 or Version 10.5. Review the steps in upgrading environments with specific characteristics and determine which task applies better to your environment.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you have Local Administrator authority. See the Prerequisites section in Installing Db2 servers (Windows) for additional authorization details.
- Ensure that you meet the installation prerequisites.
- Review upgrade recommendations and disk space requirements. Refer to Best practices for upgrading Db2 servers and Disk space requirements for Db2 server upgrades.
- Perform pre-upgrade tasks. Refer to Pre-upgrade tasks for Db2 servers.
This procedure applies only to upgrade from Db2 32-bit servers when you install the Version 11.5 32-bit database product or from 64-bit servers when you install the Version 11.5 64-bit database product. The instance bit size is determined by the operating system and the Version 11.5 database product that you install, see Support changes for 32-bit and 64-bit Db2 servers for details.
- Additional upgrade restrictions apply. Refer to Upgrade restrictions for Db2 servers. Review the complete list.
To upgrade a Db2 server to Db2 Version 11.5:
- Log on to the Db2 server as a user with Local Administrator authority.
Version 11.5 by running the setup command to launch the
You have three choices:
- To automatically upgrade a Db2 copy, all the
instances running on the selected Db2 copy, and your DAS,
select the Work with Existing option on the Install a
Product panel. Then, in the Work with Existing window, choose the
Db2 copy name
with the upgrade action. The selected Db2 copy and add-on
products are uninstalled.
You will get a warning that recommends that you run the db2ckupgrade command if you have local databases. If you completed the pre-upgrade tasks, ignore this warning and continue the upgrade. Otherwise, verify that your databases are ready for Db2 upgrade before continuing with the installation.
To create a new copy of Db2 Version 11.5, select the Install New option on the Install a Product panel.
To create a response file and perform a response file installation, select the Work with Existing option on the Install a Product panel. Then in the Work with Existing window, choose the Db2 copy name with the upgrade action. Finally, in the Select the installation, response file creation, or both window, select the Save my installation setting in a response file option to create a response file for a response file installation. The response file has the required UPGRADE_PRIOR_VERSIONS keyword, the Db2 copy name to upgrade, and the installation path.
The result of the response file installation will be the same as in the first choice, all your instances running on the selected Db2 copy and your DAS are automatically upgraded to the Db2 Version 11.5 copy.
- To automatically upgrade a Db2 copy, all the instances running on the selected Db2 copy, and your DAS, select the Work with Existing option on the Install a Product panel. Then, in the Work with Existing window, choose the Db2 copy name with the upgrade action. The selected Db2 copy and add-on products are uninstalled.
- Install all Db2 add-on products that were installed in the Db2 copy from which you are upgrading.
- If you installed a new copy of Db2 Version 11.5, upgrade your Db2 Version 11.1 or Version 10.5 instances to this new copy.
- Optional: If you installed a new copy, upgrade the DAS if you want to keep your existing DAS configuration and use new functionality available in Db2 Version 11.5.
- Upgrade your databases. Refer to Upgrading databases.