Installing Db2 (Windows)
This task describes how to download and install the Db2 Community Edition for Windows. Db2 Community Edition is a full-featured server installation. After a three-month trial period, you can apply either a Standard or Advanced license to receive product support and additional functionality.
Before you begin
- If you are planning on setting up a partitioned database environment, refer to Setting up a partitioned database environment.
- Ensure that your system meets installation, memory, and disk requirements.
- If you are planning to use LDAP to register the Db2 server in Windows operating systems Active Directory, extend the directory schema before you install. Otherwise, you must manually register the node and catalog the databases. For more information, see Extending the Active Directory Schema for LDAP directory services (Windows).
- You must have a local Administrator user account with the recommended user rights to perform the installation. In Db2 database servers where LocalSystem can be used as the DAS and Db2 instance user and you are not using the database partitioning feature, a non-administrator user with elevated privileges can perform the installation.
- Although not mandatory, it is recommended that you close all programs so that the installation program can update any files on the computer without requiring a reboot.
- Installing Db2 products from a virtual drive or an unmapped network drive (such as \\hostname\sharename in Windows Explorer) is not supported. Before you attempt to install Db2 products, you must map the network drive to a Windows drive letter (for example, Z:).
- You cannot have more than one instance of the Db2 Setup wizard that is running in any user account.
- The Db2 copy name and the instance name cannot start with a numeric value.The Db2 copy name is limited to 64 English characters that consists of the characters A-Z, a-z and 0-9.
- The Db2 copy name and the instance name must be unique among all Db2 copies.
- The use of XML features is restricted to a database that has only one database partition.
- If you installed one of the following products, then no other Db2 database product can
be installed in the same path:
- IBM® Data Server Runtime Client
- IBM Data Server Driver Package
- The Db2 Setup wizard fields do not accept non-English characters.
- If you enable extended security on Windows or higher, the users must belong to the DB2ADMNS or DB2USERS group to run local Db2 commands and applications. This setup is required because of an extra security feature (User Access Control) that limits the privileges that local administrators have by default. If users do not belong to one of these groups, they will not have read access to local Db2 configuration or application data.
Use the Db2 Setup wizard to define your installation and install your Db2 database product on your system.To install Db2 Community Edition on a Windows machine:
- Go to the Db2 Download page and sign in with your IBM account credentials.
- Choose your contact option (e.g., email), review the Terms and Conditions, and then click Continue.
- From the Downloads page that appears, locate the IBM® Db2 11.5 Edition for Windows® on AMD64 and Intel® EM64T systems option and click the associated Download now link.
- From the pop-up box that appears, choose Save File.
The file is downloaded to your browser's default location on your Windows server machine.
- Log on to the system with the local Administrator account.
- Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the v11.5_ntx64_dec.zip file that you downloaded and extract it the desired location on your server.
- Expand the extracted folder, \v11.5_ntx64_dec\SERVER_DEC\image, right-click the setup.exe file and select Run as administrator to start the Db2 Setup Launchpad..
- If a User Account Control window is displayed, click Yes.
- Click Install a Product.
- Scroll to the end of the DB2 Version 188.8.131.52 Server Editions and click Install New.
- Click Next to begin the installation.
- Review the software licence agreement, click the option to accept, and then click Next.
- Select the Typical install option and then click Next.
- Select the option, Install DB2 Server Edition on this computer and save my settings in a response file and then click Next.
- Accept the default install path and then click Next.
- Select the option, Do no autostart the IBM SSH server at system startup and then click Next.
- From the Domain drop-down list box, select None- use local user account as the domain name, enter and confirm a password, and then click Next.
- Accept DB2 as the default instance and then click Next.
- Ensure that the Set up your DB2 server to send notifications check box is NOT SELECTED and then click Next.
- Select the option, enable operating system security for DB2 objects, and then click Next.
- When the Start copying files window is displayed, click
- When the setup is complete, click Finish.
Your Db2 database product is installed, by default, in the Program_Files\IBM\sqllib directory, where Program_Files represents the location of the Program Files directory.
If you are installing on a system where this directory is already being used, the Db2 database product
installation path has
_xx added to it. The xx
are digits, starting at 01 and increasing, depending on how many Db2 copies you
You can also specify your own Db2 database product installation path.
What to do next
- Verify your installation. You can use the db2val tool for verification.
- Perform the necessary post-installation tasks.
For information about errors that are encountered during installation, review the installation log file that is located in the My Documents\DB2LOG\ directory. The log file uses the following format: DB2-ProductAbrrev-DateTime.log, for example, DB2-ESE-Tue Apr 04 17_04_45 2012.log.
where Program_Files represents the location of the Program Files directory.
c:\windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /s c:\Program_Files\IBM\SQLLIB\bin\ibmdadb2.dll
IBM Data Studio can be installed by running the Db2 Setup wizard.