This technote explains how to resolve an error that can occur in a web browser while attempting to create or reuse a view using the IBM® Rational® ClearCase® Web Interface (CCWeb) or ClearCase Remote Client (CCRC).
Attempts to create a Web view results in the following error:
Unable to login user: invalid session / login information supplied.
Unable to login: username or password is incorrect
There are various causes for this issue which include the following:
- If the server running the Rational Web Platform (RWP) is a hosted from a Windows host this error can occur if the user account is removed from the Domain (on the domain controller) and added back to the Domain with same username.
- If the server running the Rational Web Platform (RWP) is hosted from a UNIX® or Linux® host this error can occur if
- The umask on UNIX (or Linux) for the user account is set to 077 rather than 002 or 005, so permissions in directory /var/adm/atria/ccweb/<userid> are too restrictive.
- The umask on the root account can also cause this error if it is too restrictive, such as 027.
- If the RWP server is running on Linux, the /usr/lib/libpam.so.0.XX file needs to be linked to /lib/libpam.so.0 as shown in the example below:
$ ls -al libpam*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jul 23 2006 libpam.so.0 -> libpam.so.0.77
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32024 May 12 2006 libpam.so.0.77
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Jul 23 2006 libpam_misc.so.0 -> libpam_misc.so.0.77
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9524 May 12 2006 libpam_misc.so.0.77
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jul 23 2006 libpamc.so.0 -> libpamc.so.0.77
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9108 May 12 2006 libpamc.so.0.77
- There is no pam-devel package installed on the RWP server:
$ rpm -q pam-devel
package pam-devel is not installed
$ rpm -q pam
Without this package the following links will be missing:
# ls -al libpam*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jun 15 10:23 libpamc.so -> ../../lib/libpamc.so.0.75
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Jun 15 10:24 libpam_misc.so -> ../../lib/libpam_misc.so.0.75
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jun 15 10:25 libpam.so -> ../../lib/libpam.so.0.75
- The ccweb file should have the following permissions:
-r-sr-xr-x 1 root other 579916 Jun 9 20:23 /usr/atria/web/bin/ccweb
Note: /opt/rational/clearcase/web/bin/ccweb for version 2003.06.00 and later.
- The variable tmpdir is not set, or is set incorrectly in the ccweb.conf file.
- The login fails when a UNIX or Linux RWP server set up to authenticate using Samba that is configured to verify credentials from a Windows Active Directory server.
- There is no PAM file configured for ClearCase
Resolving The Problem
For Cause 1
Note: Every CCWeb and CCRC user has their own session.dat file which contains references to their web views. The session.dat files is stored in the following directory (by default):
Windows: C:\Program Files\Rational\ClearCase\var\ccweb\<user>
UNIX & Linux: /var/adm/rational/clearcase/ccweb/<user>
- On the RWP server, navigate to the directory where the user session.dat files are stored.
- Rename the session.dat file and move to a temp directory.
- Attempt the CCWeb or CCRC operation again.
Note: A new session.dat file will be created for the user.
For Cause 2
- You can use CCWeb or CCRC through RWP with a different user account that has group access to the directory, or change the user's umask to 002 (chmod 775) and remove file /var/adm/atria/ccweb/<userid>/session.dat.
- The root user must have a umask of 022 on the RWP server.
For additional information on configuring RWP, see IBM Rational ClearCase Administration Guide > Configuring the Rational Web Platform .
For Cause 3
If the the /usr/lib/libpam.so.0.XX file is not linked to /lib/libpam.so.0, link them using a standard Linux symbolic link.
If the file is properly linked, you will need to consult your Linux vendor for the newest version of libpam.so as the version in use may be too old to work with the CCWeb components.
For Cause 4
Install the pam-devel package on the RWP server.
For Cause 5:
- If the permissions are not -r-sr-xr-x, then run chmod 4555 ccweb (in the directory)
- If the file is not owned by root, then run chown root ccweb (in the directory)
For Cause 6
Manually set the tmpdir variable as noted in technote 1125332 About the ccweb.conf file.
If this issue occurs on ClearCase 7.1.X:
Manually set the mbean tmpdir variable. For an example on how to set an mbean value, refer to technote 1407113 How to enable region mapping for the CCRC client in ClearCase 7.1 using the CM Server.
For Cause 7
This is not a supported configuration. If your RWP server is on Linux/UNIX, you will not be able to use Windows to verify credentials; you must authenticate from Linux/UNIX.
For Cause 8
Verify or create, if needed, a PAM configuration file for ClearCase.
- Login as root
- cd to /etc/pam.d
- Create a ClearCase PAM file by copying the login file in /etc/pam.d and naming the result clearcase.
For example: cp login clearcase
16 June 2018