Stand-alone profile creation for the IBM Process Center or IBM Process Server can lead to nonworking JAX-WS application programming interface (API) query calls in the runtime server.
An exception occurs when query and queryAll calls are made to the JAX-WS API of the runtime server. An FFDC entry is created on the server side, which indicates the exception.
Execution of the applyPerfTuningTemplate.py performance tuning script, which is located in the <install-root>/scriptLibraries/ perfTuning/V70/ directory, implies a JAXB performance setting that, at run time, leads to a failure in JAXB marshalling. As a consequence, the execution of query and queryAll calls to the JAX-WS API fails.
During profile creation, the script is executed if you use the -applyPerfTuningSetting development parameter for the manageprofiles command or if you selected any of the following choices in the Profile Management tool:
- On the Environment selection page, the IBM BPM Advanced Process, Center stand-alone profile or the IBM BPM Advanced, Process Server stand-alone profile is selected, as in the following illustration:
- On the Profile Creation Options page, the Advanced profile creation option is selected, as in the following illustration:
- On the Profile Name and Location page, the Development or the Peak option is selected.
This information is relevant for the IBM Business Process Manager Advanced Process Center stand-alone profile and the IBM Business Process Manager Advanced Process Server stand-alone profile.
Diagnosing The Problem
On the client side, when this problem exists, execution of query and queryAll JAX-WS calls always returns a NullPointerException indication. The result of this action is custom-client specific, but the query call does not return a list of items.
On the server side, check for an FFDC entry that contains an exception description similar to the following text:
[5/4/11 20:16:30:515 CDT] FFDC Exception:org.apache.axiom.om.OME xception SourceId:com.ibm.ws.websvcs.transport. http.HTTPTransportSender.invoke ProbeId:388 Reporter:com.ibm.ws.websvcs.transport. http.HTTPTransportSender@310f310f
org.apache.axiom.om.OMExcep tion: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.axis2.datasource.jaxb. JAXBDSContext$1.run(JAXBDSContext. java:484)
&n bsp; at org.apache.axis2.java.security.Ac cessController.doPrivileged(Acces sController.java:76)
&nb sp; at org.apache.axis2.datasource.jaxb. JAXBDSContext.marshalByElement(JA XBDSContext.java:455)
&n bsp; at org.apache.axis2.datasource.jaxb. JAXBDSContext.marshal(JAXBDSContext. java:414)
Resolving The Problem
To resolve the problem, complete one of the following actions:
- Use the WebSphere Application Server Administrative Console to remove the JAXB optimization setting. Follow these steps for each of your defined servers:
- Navigate to the Application server page and select the appropriate server:
- After opening the Administration servers page for the intended server, select Process definition under Java and Process Management:
- On the Process definition page, select Java Virtual Machine under Additional Properties:
- On the Java Virtual Machine page, locate the field for Generic JVM arguments:
- In the Generic JVM arguments field, delete the -Dcom.ibm.xml.xlxp.jaxb.opti.level=3 setting.
- Click OK and Save.
- Restart the server.
- Download and install IBM Business Process Manager Version 7.5.0 Fix Pack 1. The issue is resolved in Fix Pack 1.
Was this topic helpful?
15 June 2018