Question & Answer
How do you set up Beyond Compare or Araxis as a third party compare tool for use with IBM Rational Synergy?
The following will outline how to set up Beyond Compare or Araxis as a third party compare tool with IBM Rational Synergy:
For Beyond Compare:
- Close the Synergy application.
- Navigate into your %userprofile% directory (type %userprofile% in explorer address bar if you are unsure where this is).
- Create a backup of the file named ccm.ini.
- Edit the ccm.ini file and change the lines for Compare_cmd and merge_cmd to:
compare_cmd = C:\Progra~1\Beyond~1\bc2.exe %file1 %file2
merge_cmd = C:\Program~1\Beyond~1\bc2.exe %file1 %file2 /savetarget=%outfile
Note: From the %USERPROFILE%\ccm.user.properties file you can also set this for the Java (developer) client:
- First create a batch file in the BC2 directory with the following contents:
"C:\tool\bc\BC2.exe" %1 %2 "/mergeoutput=%3"
- And then add the following lines in the ccm.user.properties:
windows.tool.merge.ascii = C:\\tool\\bc\\merge.bat %file1 %file2 %outfile
windows.tool.compare.ascii = C:\\tool\\bc\\merge.bat %file1 %file2
For The Araxis tool:
Araxis is a little more complex, but has been noted to work well when defined as follows:
compare_cmd = consolecompare.exe /2 %file1 %file2
Or a 3-way-compare with an ancestor file:
compare_cmd = consolecompare.exe /3 /a1 %ancestor %file1 %file2
Or with a specified output file for the merged source:
merge_cmd = consolecompare.exe /merge /3 /a1 %ancestor %file1 %file2 %outfile
The option switches are from the Araxis command line help pages and as such IBM Rational Technical Support cannot guarantee their accuracy. Please be aware that this article is not a statement of support or warranty with these tools.
If you have questions regarding this technical note please contact IBM Rational Support.
22 December 2020