An XML External Entity Injection vulnerability in IBM Business Automation Workflow and IBM BPM has been found.
DESCRIPTION: IBM Business Automation Workflow is vulnerable to an XML External Entity Injection (XXE) attack when processing XML data. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to expose sensitive information or consume memory resources.
CVSS Base Score: 7.1
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/162770 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:L)
Affected Products and Versions
- IBM Business Automation Workflow V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52 Cumulative Fix 2018.03
- IBM Business Process Manager V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11 Cumulative Fix 2017.06
- IBM Business Process Manager V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124 CF2
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199
- IBM Business Process Manager V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206
- IBM Business Process Manager V220.127.116.11 through V18.104.22.168
- IBM Business Process Manager V22.214.171.124 through V126.96.36.199
Install interim fix JR61232 as appropriate for your current IBM Business Automation Workflow or IBM BPM version.
- IBM Business Automation Workflow
- IBM Business Process Manager Advanced
- IBM Business Process Manager Standard
- IBM Business Process Manager Express
For IBM Business Automation Workflow V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206
· Upgrade to at least IBM Business Automation Workflow V220.127.116.11 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
· Apply cumulative fix IBM Business Automation Workflow V18.104.22.168
For IBM BPM V22.214.171.124 through V126.96.36.199 CF 2018.03
· Upgrade to at least IBM BPM V188.8.131.52 CF 2017.12 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11 CF 2017.06
· Apply Cumulative Fix 2017.06 and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124 CF2
· Apply CF2 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V126.96.36.199
· Apply iFix JR61232
As IBM Business Process Manager V7.5 and V8.0 are out of general support, customers with a support extension contract can contact IBM support to request the fix.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
IBM strongly suggests that all System z customers be subscribed to the System z Security Portal to receive the latest critical System z security and integrity service. If you are not subscribed, see the instructions on the System z Security web site. Security and integrity APARs and associated fixes will be posted to this portal. IBM suggests reviewing the CVSS scores and applying all security or integrity fixes as soon as possible to minimize any potential risk.
6 August 2019: initial version published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY. In addition to other efforts to address potential vulnerabilities, IBM periodically updates the record of components contained in our product offerings. As part of that effort, if IBM identifies previously unidentified packages in a product/service inventory, we address relevant vulnerabilities regardless of CVE date. Inclusion of an older CVEID does not demonstrate that the referenced product has been used by IBM since that date, nor that IBM was aware of a vulnerability as of that date. We are making clients aware of relevant vulnerabilities as we become aware of them. "Affected Products and Versions" referenced in IBM Security Bulletins are intended to be only products and versions that are supported by IBM and have not passed their end-of-support or warranty date. Thus, failure to reference unsupported or extended-support products and versions in this Security Bulletin does not constitute a determination by IBM that they are unaffected by the vulnerability. Reference to one or more unsupported versions in this Security Bulletin shall not create an obligation for IBM to provide fixes for any unsupported or extended-support products or versions.
Internal Use Only
Advisory ID 16611
PR BPM: 139498
PR BAW: 138036
Was this topic helpful?
18 March 2022