Question & Answer
ANS1909E and ANS1512E Return code = 1 are seen on the Tivoli Storage Manager Client and ANR2579E return code 1 on the Tivoli Storage Manager Server indicating a failed Tivoli Data Protection client or Tivoli Storage Manager command schedule.
To determine the real cause of this failure, the Tivoli Storage Manager Client Scheduler needs to be run in the foreground, instead of as a service. This will allow the errors encountered when the script is run to be fully reported. To run the scheduler in the foreground do the following:
1. Open Windows command prompt and change to the Tivoli Storage Manager Client install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient)
2. Run 'dsmcutil list' to get a list of all Tivoli Storage Manager services installed.
3. Run 'dsmcutil query /name:"TSM Scheduler"' replacing "TSM Scheduler" with the name of the scheduler service that is failing, exactly as seen in the output of step 2.
4. Make note of the value for the "Options file" field.
5. On the Tivoli Storage Manager Server, update the failing schedule with STARTTIME=NOW or create a test schedule and associate this node to it.
6. Then on the client machine, run 'dsmc sched -optfile=<path and file from step 4>' to start the scheduler in the foreground (e.g. dsmc sched -optfile="C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\domino\dsm.opt")
These steps should allow the scheduler to run in the foreground as the correct node, and pickup the newly updated/created schedule. If the schedule completes successfully at this point, then the problem is most likely a permissions issue, and the scheduler service should be changed to run as the currently logged in user. Frequently the issue is quite simple, such as contention for the log file between the scheduler service and the script (such an issue would be resolved by pointing the log files to different locations).
If there is a different cause to the problem, some operating system error like the following should be seen:
Executing Operating System command or script:
'c:\program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.'
Finished command. Return code is: 1
Was this topic helpful?
17 June 2018