Question & Answer
Method 1 - Update with the "Check IBM for update QMGTOOLS" option
This option is located in the main QMGTOOLS menu. When selected, the tool tries to FTP to the IBM public FTP site at public.dhe.ibm.com. In the following screen capture, option 13 is the "Check IBM for updated QMGTOOLS" option. Once selected, follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 2 - Update or install QMGTOOLS by using iDoctor
This method is separated in 2 sections: iDoctor not installed on a PC or iDoctor already installed on a PC.
iDoctor not installed on a PC
1) To install iDoctor on a PC, use the following URL. If this URL does not work, try an internet search for keywords "IBM iDoctor Download".
2) For new installations, the following URL contains additional information.
1) Welcome screen, click Next.
2) Accept the license agreement and click Next.
3) Click Server and Client and click Next.
4) From here add the system or systems to install and add the logon credentials. Click Next.
5) Select the correct version of Must Gather Tools. Other options such as Base Support, Heap Analyzer, Job Watcher, and PEX analyzer are OK to install too as it is part of iDoctor, but not necessary. Click Next and follow the installation prompts. Once the installation finishes, the IBM i server has the QMGTOOLS library.
iDoctor already installed on a PC1) Click the system from iDoctor and this screen appears:
2) There is a component call Must Gather Tools. A status field next to it labeled "Available" or "Not installed".
3) If it is "Available", that means that iDoctor detects that QMGTOOLS is installed. In either case, clicking the "Check for new server builds" button checks for the latest QMGTOOLS and other components of iDoctor. A pop-up similar to this one appears.
4) Click yes and follow the instructions.
Method 3 - Manually update or install from the IBM public FTP site
1) Browse to url https://public.dhe.ibm.com/services/us/igsc/has/
2) Select the save file that matches your IBM i release and download to a PC. For example, file
qmgtool720.savfis for version R720.
4) Upload the save file to the IBM i. The following is an upload example.
Connected to testsystem.
220-QTCP at TESTSYSTEM.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 5 minutes.
Name (testsystem:guest): daggitybo
331 Enter password.
230 DAGGITYBO logged on.
Remote system type is .
ftp> quote site namefmt 0
250 Now using naming format "0".
200 Representation type is binary IMAGE.
ftp> put qmgtool720.savf qtilib/qmgtool720
local: qmgtool720.savf remote: qtilib/qmgtool720
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||49213|).
150 Sending file to member QMGTOOL720 in file QMGTOOL720 in library QTILIB.
226 File transfer completed successfully.
221 QUIT subcommand received.
6) Restore the library, QMGTOOLS:
RSTLIB SAVLIB(QMGTOOLS) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(library/savefile)
Example: RSTLIB SAVLIB(QMGTOOLS) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(QTILIB/QMGTOOL720)
Was this topic helpful?
22 November 2022