An XML External Entity Injection vulnerability in IBM Business Automation Workflow and IBM BPM has been found.
DESCRIPTION: IBM Business Automation Workflow is vulnerable to an XML External Entity Injection (XXE) attack when processing XML data. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to expose sensitive information or consume memory resources.
CVSS Base Score: 7.1
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/162770 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:L)
Affected Products and Versions
- IBM Business Automation Workflow V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206
- IBM Business Process Manager V220.127.116.11 through V18.104.22.168 Cumulative Fix 2018.03
- IBM Business Process Manager V22.214.171.124 through V126.96.36.199 Cumulative Fix 2017.06
- IBM Business Process Manager V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206 CF2
- IBM Business Process Manager V220.127.116.11
- IBM Business Process Manager V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52
- IBM Business Process Manager V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11
Install interim fix JR61232 as appropriate for your current IBM Business Automation Workflow or IBM BPM version.
- IBM Business Automation Workflow
- IBM Business Process Manager Advanced
- IBM Business Process Manager Standard
- IBM Business Process Manager Express
For IBM Business Automation Workflow V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124
· Upgrade to at least IBM Business Automation Workflow V126.96.36.199 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
· Apply cumulative fix IBM Business Automation Workflow V188.8.131.52
For IBM BPM V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11 CF 2018.03
· Upgrade to at least IBM BPM V18.104.22.168 CF 2017.12 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V22.214.171.124 through V126.96.36.199 CF 2017.06
· Apply Cumulative Fix 2017.06 and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206 CF2
· Apply CF2 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR61232
For IBM BPM V220.127.116.11
· Apply iFix JR61232
As IBM Business Process Manager V7.5 and V8.0 are out of general support, customers with a support extension contract can contact IBM support to request the fix.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
IBM strongly suggests that all System z customers be subscribed to the System z Security Portal to receive the latest critical System z security and integrity service. If you are not subscribed, see the instructions on the System z Security web site. Security and integrity APARs and associated fixes will be posted to this portal. IBM suggests reviewing the CVSS scores and applying all security or integrity fixes as soon as possible to minimize any potential risk.
6 August 2019: initial version published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
Internal Use Only
Advisory ID 16611
PR BPM: 139498
PR BAW: 138036
06 August 2019