IBM Business Process Manager and IBM Business Automation Workflow are vulnerable to blind SQL injection due to insufficient validation of user-provided input in an API.
DESCRIPTION: IBM Business Process Manager is vulnerable to SQL injection. A remote attacker could send specially-crafted SQL statements, which could allow the attacker to view, add, modify or delete information in the back-end database.
CVSS Base Score: 6.3
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/145109 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:L/I:L/A:L)
Affected Products and Versions
- IBM Business Process Manager V220.127.116.11 through V18.104.22.168
- IBM Business Process Manager V22.214.171.124
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52 CF2
- IBM Business Process Manager V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11 Cumulative Fix 2017.06
- IBM Business Process Manager V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124 Cumulative Fix 2018.03
- IBM Business Automation Workflow V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52 (released 2018.07)
The issue was introduced in the 8.5.0.x code stream. Earlier versions are not affected.
The recommended solution is to apply the Interim Fix (iFix) or Cumulative Fix (CF) containing APAR JR59569 as soon as practical:
- IBM Business Automation Workflow
- IBM Business Process Manager
- IBM Business Process Manager Advanced
- IBM Business Process Manager Standard
- IBM Business Process Manager Express
For IBM Business Automation Workflow V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11
For IBM BPM V18.104.22.168 (released 2017.09) through V22.214.171.124 CF2018.03
- Install CF 2017.12 or later and then apply iFix JR59569 (Note that the BPM V126.96.36.199 CF2018.03 fix can be found by searching for Business Automation Workflow fixes)
For IBM BPM V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206 CF 2017.06
For IBM BPM V220.127.116.11 through V18.104.22.168 CF2
For IBM BPM V22.214.171.124
- Apply iFix JR59569
For IBM BPM V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
19 September 2018: initial version published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
19 September 2018