POWER8: In response to a security issue with BMC's configuration, a new Power System firmware update is being released to address Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures issue number CVE 2019-29847.
DESCRIPTION: BMC firmware configuration changed to allow an authenticated user to open an insecure communication channel which could allow an attacker to obtain sensitive information using man in the middle techniques.
CVSS Base score: 5.3
CVSS Temporal Score: See: https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/205267 for the current score.
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:N/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
|P8 OpenPOWER release OP825||OP825.50|
|Hardware Management Console System Firmware||v3.11_v3.23_hmc|
Customers with the products below running OP825, install OP825.51:
1) IBM Power System S821LC (8001-12C)
2) IBM Power System S822LC (8001-22C)
3) IBM Power System CS821LC (8005-12N)
4) IBM Power System CS822LC (8005-22N)
Customers with the products below running with firmware level v3.11_v3.25_hmc OP825, install OP825.51:
1) IBM Power Hardware Management Console (HMC) (7063-CR1)
2) Navigate to "Configure -> Ports".
3) Re-enable the "Web port" option by checking the box next to it.
4) Click "Save".
5) Disable the "Web port" option by un-checking the box next to it.
6) Click "Save".
7) Port 80 should now be disabled and in sync with the setting displayed in the BMC user interface.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
15 Jul 2021: Initial Publication
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
Review the IBM security bulletin disclaimer and definitions regarding your responsibilities for assessing potential impact of security vulnerabilities to your environment.
Was this topic helpful?
10 May 2022