Power9: A new Power Systems firmware update is being released to address Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures issue number CVE-2021-20487. The Self Boot Engine(SBE) can be compromised from the service processor to allow injection of malicious code. An attacker that gains root access to the service processor could compromise the integrity of the host firmware and bypass the host firmware signature verification process. This compromised state can not be detected through TPM attestation.
DESCRIPTION: IBM Power9 Self Boot Engine(SBE) could allow a privileged user to inject malicious code and compromise the integrity of the host firmware bypassing the host firmware signature verification process.
CVSS Base score: 8
CVSS Temporal Score: See: https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/197730 for the current score.
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:H/PR:H/UI:N/S:C/C:H/I:H/A:H)
Affected Products and Versions
Customers with the products below, install FW930.30 or later if using FW930.XX. Install FW940.20 or later if using FW940.XX. Or install FW950.00 or later.
1) IBM Power Systems S922 (9009-22A)
2) IBM Power Systems H922 (9223-22H)
3) IBM Power Systems S914 (9009-41A)
4) IBM Power Systems S924 (9009-42A)
5) IBM Power Systems H924 (9223-42H)
6) IBM Power Systems L922 (9008-22L)
7) IBM Power Systems E950 (9040-MR9)
8) IBM Power Systems E980 (9080-M9S)
Customers with the products below, install FW950.00 or later
1) IBM Power Systems S922 (9009-22G)
2) IBM Power Systems S914 (9009-41G)
3) IBM Power Systems S924 (9009-42G)
4) IBM Power Systems H922 (9223-22S)
5) IBM Power Systems H924 (9223-42S)
Customers with the products below, install OP940.20 or later
1) IBM Power Systems AC922 (8335-GTH)
2) IBM Power Systems AC922 (8335-GTX)
3) IBM Power Systems IC922 (9183-22X)
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
29 Apr 2021: Initial Publication
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
Review the IBM security bulletin disclaimer and definitions regarding your responsibilities for assessing potential impact of security vulnerabilities to your environment.
Was this topic helpful?
25 May 2021