New logging enhancements (27 March 2022)
Logging in JSON format and HTTP access logging are new features that can be used to enhance the observability of integrated application servers. Further details in Technology Updates.
Integrated application server versions 7.1 and 8.1 disabled in IBM i 7.2 (27 March 2022)
Starting with HTTP group PTF SF99713 - level 49, integrated application server versions 7.1 and 8.1 no longer function due to the log4j version 1.x mitigation efforts. Further details can be found in the Security Bulletin: IBM i components are affected by CVE-2021-4104 (log4j version 1.x).
Run integrated Web application servers in user-defined subsystems (10 January 2020)
Support has been added in the Web Administration Interface for enabling you to run integrated application servers in user-defined subsystems. By dividing your servers into multiple subsystems you gain several advantages, including: (1) better control over what work is running in each subsystem; (2) improved scalability and availability by having a single subsystem do work for fewer servers; and (3) allowing for additional options for performance tuning.
Preparing for the end of Java 7 support: How it affects integrated web application server (3 April 2019)
End of support for Java 7 by IBM WebSphere Application Server Liberty - which integrated web application server (IAS) is based on - is scheduled for September 2019. What does that mean for your current IAS installations?
End of support for Java 7 by Liberty means that after 1 September 2019, Liberty fix packs will require at least Java 8 in order for the server to start. To ensure your applications are running in a supported environment for years to come, we recommend moving to the latest Java supported by Liberty — Java SE 8. You can update the Java version for a server by using the IBM Web Administration GUI for i. Select the server, then click the Server->Properties link and you are able to select a Java version from a selection list. If you do not see a suitable version, you will need to install the licensed product that contains the Java version you want.
Features and benefits
The integrated web application server for IBM i is a composable, dynamic, application server for hosting Java applications during development, test, and production.
- Simple to configure -- The integrated web application server provides an easy to use web administrative GUI front end that you can use to manage and monitor the server and any deployed applications.
- Small footprint -- The integrated web application server run time loads only what your application needs by using OSGi technology and concepts.
- Support for many Java technologies.
- No up-front costs -- The application server is part of the operating system, so you can get services up and running and show tangible results fast.
- Advanced capabilities -- A comprehensive and proven portfolio of middleware products from the IBM WebSphere family.
- Focus on core capabilities -- Solution providers do not require new skills or tools for the deployment of Java applications to the application server.
Was this topic helpful?
28 March 2022