A vulnerability exists in the Event Streams 10.0.0 schema registry that allows unauthorised access to create, edit and delete schemas
DESCRIPTION: IBM Event Streams could allow an authenticated user to perform tasks to a schema due to improper authentication validation.
CVSS Base score: 6.5
CVSS Temporal Score: See: https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/186233 for the current score.
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:H/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
|IBM Event Streams||10.0.0|
To fix this issue you will need to have access to the following image in the ibm entitled registry
If you have an air gapped install you will need to pull down this image into your private image repository and make a note of the location.
- Modify the ClusterServiceVersion (csv) of the eventstreams operator.
- Get the name of the eventstreams csv, run
oc get csv -n <NAMESPACE>, substituting
<NAMESPACE>for where you have deployed IBM Event Streams. You should get an entry named ibm-eventstreams.v2.0.0 or ibm-eventstreams.v2.0.1
- Edit the csv and find the following environment variable EVENTSTREAMS_DEFAULT_SCHEMA_REGISTRY_PROXY_IMAGE.
- Replace the image tag associated with this env var with either the image mentioned above or the one you've pulled into your local private registry.
- Save the csv. This will restart the operator with the updated env var and then update the Schema Registry with the required fix
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
11 Aug 2020: Initial Publication
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
13 August 2020