A list of the installation instructions, new features, and resolved issues list for the release of IBM Security QRadar 7.2.8 (126.96.36.19960920132350).
Fix packs are cumulative software updates to fix known software issues in your QRadar deployment. QRadar fix packs are installed by using an SFS file. The fix pack can update all appliances attached to the QRadar Console. If your deployment is installed with any of the following QRadar versions, you can install fix pack 7.2.8-QRADAR-QRFULL-20160920132350 to upgrade to QRadar 7.2.8:
|Current QRadar Version||Upgrades to QRadar 7.2.8?|
|QRadar 7.2.3 (any patch level) or earlier||No, a minimum of QRadar 7.2.4 is required.|
|QRadar 7.2.4 (any patch level)||Yes|
|QRadar 7.2.5 (any patch level)||Yes|
|QRadar 7.2.6 (any patch level)||Yes|
|QRadar 7.2.7 (any patch level)||Yes|
Important: A QRadar 7.2.8 ISO is available on IBM Fix Central for administrators to want to install a new appliance or virtual machine. Administrators who want to complete a new install need to review the QRadar Installation Guide.
New features in QRadar 7.2.8
The following new features and improves are available after installing QRadar 7.2.8.
- IBM Security X-Force Threat Intelligence feed no longer needs to be purchased as a separate subscription in 7.2.8. This feed is included with the standard license and Service & Support. A new System Setting allows administrators to activate this feature. Remember to download X-Force rule content. For more information, see: http://ibm.biz/qradarxforce.
- Administrators can now manage expensive searches by setting resource restrictions on specific users.
- Data segregation: Reference sets are now domain aware and the user interface includes a domain setting.
- Event and Flow data retention buckets now support tenants.
- The offense assignment user interface as been improved and support tenants.
- Offense renaming allows offenses to be created with more useful names.
- A new DSM Editor provides a user interface to replace writing complex log source extensions for new or unknown data sources.
- Delete users from QRadar now prompts administrators to reassign any existing content to existing users.
- QRadar 7.2.8 introduces several new and updated API endpoints.
- AQL now supports nested queries (sub-queries) in advanced searches, using IN or FROM statements.
- Search performance enhancements: Asset query performance and UI wait times significantly improved.
- Vulnerability user interface query performance is significantly improved.
- IBM Security Master Console now included with QRadar. A separate RPM install is no longer required.
For more information
- For a full list of changes, see What's new in QRadar 7.2.8.
- To review the release notes on the IBM Knowledge Center, see: http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS42VS_7.2.8/com.ibm.qradar.doc/c_rls_notes_siem.html
Before you begin
Ensure that you take the following precautions:
- Back up your data before you begin any software upgrade. For more information about backup and recovery, see the IBM Security QRadar Administration Guide.
- To avoid access errors in your log file, close all open QRadar sessions.
- The fix pack for QRadar cannot be installed on a managed host that is at a different software version from the Console. All appliances in the deployment must be at the same software revision to patch the entire deployment.
- Verify that all changes are deployed on your appliances. The patch cannot install on appliances that have changes that are not deployed.
- The .SFS file is only capable of upgrading existing QRadar installations. A QRadar 7.2.8 ISO is available for administrators to want to install a new appliance or virtual machine. Administrators who want to do a new install need to review the QRadar Installation Guide.
Installing the QRadar 7.2.8 Fix Pack
The instructions guide administrators through the process of upgrading an existing QRadar at v7.2.4 (188.8.131.523526) or later to the latest software version.
- Download the fix pack to install QRadar 7.2.8 from the IBM Fix Central website: http://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/quickorder?parent=IBM%2BSecurity&product=ibm/Other+software/IBM+Security+QRadar+SIEM&release=7.2.0&platform=Linux&function=fixId&fixids=7.2.8-QRADAR-QRSIEM-20160920132350&includeRequisites=1&includeSupersedes=0&downloadMethod=http&source=fc
- Using SSH, log in to your system as the root user.
- Copy the fix pack to the /tmp directory on the QRadar Console. Note: If space in the /tmp directory is limited, copy the fix pack to another location that has sufficient space.
- To create the /media/updates directory, type the following command: mkdir -p /media/updates
- Change to the directory where you copied the patch file. For example, cd /tmp
- To mount the patch file to the /media/updates directory, type the following command:
mount -o loop -t squashfs 728_QRadar_patchupdate-184.108.40.20660920132350.sfs /media/updates
- To run the patch installer, type the following command: /media/updates/installer
Note: The first time that you run the fix pack, there might be a delay before the fix pack installation menu is displayed.
- Using the patch installer, select all.
- The all option updates the software on all appliances in the following order:
2. Event Processors
3. Event Collectors
4. Flow Processors
5. Flow Collectors
- If you do not select the all option, you must select your Console appliance.
As of QRadar 7.2.6 Patch 3 and later, administrators are only provided the option to update all or update the Console appliance as the managed hosts are not displayed in the installation menu. After the Console is patched, a list of managed hosts that can be updated is displayed in the installation menu. This change was made starting with QRadar 7.2.6 Patch 3 to ensure that the Console appliance is always updated before managed hosts to prevent upgrade issues.
If administrators want to patch systems in series, they can update the Console first, then copy the patch to all other appliances and run the patch installer individually on each managed host. The Console must be patched before you can run the installer on managed hosts.
If your Secure Shell (SSH) session is disconnected while the upgrade is in progress, the upgrade continues. When you reopen your SSH session and rerun the installer, the patch installation resumes.
A summary of the fix pack installation advises you of any managed host that were not updated. If the fix pack fails to update a managed host, you can copy the fix pack to the host and run the installation locally.
After all hosts are updated, administrators can send an email to their team to inform them that they will need to clear their browser cache before logging in to the QRadar SIEM interface.
Note: Some APAR links in the table below might take 24 hours to display properly after a software release. A full APAR link for all QRadar versions is available
|IV81172||SQL Exception when running Events/Logs reports based on Advanced Search for assets|
|IV87841||Rule test with multiple reference sets only matches first reference set in test|
|IV84386||Critsit: Log Activity - UI Exception Popup when mousing over IP addresses|
|IV88370||Reference Data - Bulk Loading Performance Needs Work|
|IV84710||Asset screen in UI is slow when the number of assets is moderate to large|
|IV85584||Rule wizard UI issues|
|IV79236||CritSit: Cannot access Rule Wizard when navigating to an event through an offense|
|IV85435||Offense naming not working consistently|
|IV87029||Index roller bug|
|IV70567||Autoupdate HTTPS and proxy interception - CONNECT failures by UpdateConfs.pl|
|IV84567||Offenses Over Time reports can mismatch Offense Screen|
|IV86839||Filtering in Log Sources while sorted by EPS causes exception|
|IV82557||NullPointerException in Data Deletion causes user unable to delete rule or custom event property||IV89021||Events containing escaped characters are displayed incorrectly in the custom event property screen|
Notes / Change list
- Updated this document to reflect that QRadar 7.2.4 is the minimum QRadar version to be able to update to QRadar 7.2.8. This was previous reported incorrectly as 7.2.5 in this document, but 7.2.4 is the actual minimum QRadar version to upgrade to v7.2.8.
Where do I find more information?
10 May 2019