Question & Answer
How do you install IBM WebSphere Application Server (WAS) V8 and HTTP Server V8 for use with Rational ClearCase, Rational ClearQuest, or Rational RequisitePro web components?
To use web components of ClearCase, ClearQuest, or RequisitePro, you must install WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server before installing the product.
This note includes installation instructions for WebSphere and IBM HTTP Server and has instructions for new installations of IBM Rational ClearQuest 8.0.0.x, IBM Rational ClearCase 8.0.0.x and IBM Rational RequisitePro 7.1.3.x.
IBM WebSphere Application Server V8 and IBM HTTP Server V8 are supported for use with web server components of Rational ClearCase 126.96.36.199, Rational ClearQuest 188.8.131.52, and Rational RequisitePro 184.108.40.206. (For information on upgrading to these Rational product versions, see technote 1572830: Upgrading Rational ClearCase, Rational ClearQuest or Rational RequisitePro web components to use WebSphere Application Server V8.0 and IBM HTTP Server V8.0.)
Note : WebSphere Application Server V8 and IBM HTTP Server V8 are not supported with Rational ClearCase V220.127.116.11 ClearQuest V18.104.22.168, or Rational Requisite Pro V22.214.171.124.
You can obtain IBM WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server V8 from IBM Passport Advantage at www.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage. Fixpacks are available from IBM Support Fix Central at http://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/. For part numbers, refer to http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21662436.
Installation uses IBM Installation Manager
Beginning with version V8.0, WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server are installed using IBM Installation Manager (IM). This allows you to install multiple components at the same time. At this time, you cannot install Rational web components at the same time that you install WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server. You must install WebSphere and HTTP Server first, and then install Rational web components.
Here is an overview of the steps you will use to install web server components for Rational ClearCase, Rational ClearQuest, and Rational RequisitePro:
- Using Installation Manager, install
- IBM WebSphere Application Server
- IBM HTTP Server for WebSphere Application Server
- Web Server Plug-ins for IBM WebSphere Application Server
- WebSphere Customization Toolbox
Note: Configuring the web server plugin is only necessary if you want to configure the Rational web components for secure communications using SSL.
Before you begin an installation of WebSphere Application Server V8 be aware of the following restrictions:
- Make sure you prepare your operating system for WebSphere and IBM HTTP Server.
- Refer to technote 1573966 (Known issues and limitations found while installing or configuring WebSphere Application Server and IBM HTTP Server v8.0 to work with IBM Rational ClearCase 8.0.0.x, IBM Rational ClearQuest 8.0.0.x or IBM Rational RequisitePro 126.96.36.199) for known issues installing and configuring WAS/IHS V8 for CC/CQ/ReqPro.
- Do not use symbolic links as the destination directory. Symbolic links are not supported.
- Do not use a semicolon in the directory name. WebSphere Application Server cannot install properly if the target directory includes a semicolon. A semicolon is the character used to construct the class path on Windows systems.
- The maximum path length for the installation location on the Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 operating systems is 60 characters.
- Deleting the default target location and leaving an installation-directory field empty prevents you from continuing.
- If you support any of the following web features, you must install WebSphere Application Server 32-bit edition: ReqPro: ReqWeb and Reporting Server; ClearQuest: Full Text Search, Report Launcher (data pull reports). These features are not supported on the 64-bit edition.
You must install four WebSphere Application Server components before installing your Rational product. Installing all of these components at the same time when you run Installation Manager is recommended (as described below):
- Start Installation Manager.
- Click File > Preferences. Add the installation repository for WebSphere Application Server in the Repositories section on the Preferences panel.
Installation Manager Tip:
Select the Search service repositories during installation and updates on the Installation Manager Repository preference page (File->Preferences). Then, if you are connected to the Internet while you install, you can click Check for Other Versions and Extensions to search for updates in the default update repositories for the selected packages. In this case, you do not need to add the specific service-repository URL to the Installation Manager Repository preference page.
Select the fixes to install. Any recommended fixes are selected by default. If there are recommended fixes, you can select the option to show only recommended fixes and hide non-recommended fixes.
- Click Install at the main Installation Manager screen.
- At the Install Packages panel, select the four packages to install, as shown in the screen capture below. click Next to continue the installation.
- If you want to install WebSphere Application Server (WAS) / IBM HTTP Server (IHS) V188.8.131.52, select the check box labeled “Check all versions”, and then select the check box labeled “Check for Other Versions and Extensions”. The 184.108.40.206 versions of the above listed packages will appear in the list of packages. If they do not appear, then the requisite repository is not included in the preferences (see Installation Manager Tip above). If package list is correct, click Next.
- If there are any fixes available you will be prompted to choose which ones to install. You should install all listed fixes. Choose the fixes to install, click Next.
- Accept the license agreement, and then click Next.
- At the next panel, you can change the default installation directory by selecting a package group name and specifying a new path name in the Installation Directory field. Click Next.
Note: If you change the install location of either the AppServer, Plugins, or Toolbox, you might need to make the same change for the others. Do not specify a location that is already in use by another Websphere Application Server and IBM HTTP server instance on the same system.
- Select your translation choices. Click Next.
- At the "Select the features to install" panel, verify that the following components are selected:
- IBM HTTP Server
- IBM WebSphere Application Server
- Web Server Plug-ins
- and WebSphere Customization Toolbox
- Specify a port number on which IBM HTTP Server will communicate. To avoid port conflicts, accept the default value, port 80.
- [Windows only]
- Choose whether to run the IBM HTTP Server as a Windows service. You can configure the service to run as local system account or a user ID that you specify. The user ID requires the following advanced user rights:
- Act as part of the operating system.
- Log in as a service.
After the installation completes successfully, you might see a choice of post-install tools to start:
- WebSphere Customization Toolbox. Use this tool to configure a web server plugin that enables the Rational Product installation program to configure IBM HTTP Server redirection automatically. This tool must be run on Windows as built-in Administrator or as a local user in the Administrator group. For details, see APAR PM46369.
- Profile Management Tool. Use this tool to set up a WebSphere Application Server profile that can be used to deploy a web component such as the ClearCase CCRC WAN server.
For information about configuring the web plugin, see Post-installation steps.
If you started the WebSphere Customization Toolbox, the application start after the Installation Manager exits, see Post-installation steps for configuration instructions.
Web plugin configuration
If you have not already run the Web Server Plug-ins Configuration Tool to configure the web server to communicate with the application server, see Configuring a web plug-in for IBM HTTP Server version 8 in the product information center.
When you install product web components to a WAS profile, you can choose the Profile Deployment Type: new profile or existing profile. To determine which type of profile to use, see Using WebSphere Application Server profiles for web feature deployment.
If you plan to deploy the product web components to an existing WAS profile, make sure this profile has already been created. Run the WebSphere Application Server Profile Management Tool or use the manageprofiles script to create a WAS profile. For instructions, see Managing profiles on non-z/OS operating systems in the WebSphere Application Server Information Center.
For additional information
Comprehensive information about installing and using WebSphere Application Server V8 can be found in the WebSphere Application Server Information Center V8.0, V8.5.
Additional information is available at the WebSphere Application Server education assistant at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ieduasst/v1r1m0/index.jsp
Rational Product Install
ClearCase 220.127.116.11, ClearQuest 18.104.22.168, and RequisitePro 22.214.171.124 are the first versions that support WAS/IHS V8.
When installing or upgrading to ClearCase 126.96.36.199. ClearQuest 188.8.131.52 and RequisitePro 184.108.40.206 or later, include both the base and patch repositories for each product, for example, ClearCase 8.0 and ClearCase 220.127.116.11, ClearQuest 8.0 and 18.104.22.168, and RequisitePro 7.1.3 and 22.214.171.124.
You can obtain Rational ClearCase 8.0, ClearQuest 8.0 and RequisitePro 7.1.3 from IBM Passport Advantage at www.ibm.com/software/passportadvantage. Fixpacks are available from IBM Support Fix Central at http://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/.
- To install Rational ClearCase web components, choose:
- CCRC WAN Server
- View Server
- ClearQuest Web Server
- Full-Text Search Server
- Reporting Launcher for ClearQuest
- Report Server for Crystal Reports
More detailed instructions for doing clean product installs are available in the documentation for CC, CQ and RequisitePro.
For information on upgrading your Rational product, see the following IBM support articles:
Default port configuration for WAS profiles
Refer to the following list of ports used during creation of default new profiles for ClearCase, ClearQuest and RequisitePro web components to prevent conflicts with other WAS profiles.
- CCRC WAN Server (ccrcprofile) ports:
IPC_CONNECTOR_ADDRESS=9634 (CAUTION: Port 9634 is also the default port for AppSrv02 created using the WAS Profile Management Tool)
ClearQuest (cqwebprofile) ports:
RequisitePro (reqwebprofile) ports:
08 August 2018