This document offers details on how to establish an ODBC connection to a remote Tivoli Storage Manager V6/V7 server.
Resolving The Problem
Tivoli Storage Manager Versions 6.x and later use the DB2® open database connectivity (ODBC) driver to query the database and display the results. For more information on the DB2 native ODBC driver, refer to DB2 database product documentation. The IBM data server clients and drivers overview section provides details on installing and configuring the IBM DB2 Driver for ODBC.
The IBM ODBC driver is available with the "IBM Data Server Client" package and the "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI" package which are both available for download from the IBM Fix Central Web site at: http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/.
Data Server clients and drivers are found under the Information Management Product Group and IBM Data Server Client Packages Product selection.
- The IBM Data Server Client (Windows/x86-32 32 bit) V9.7 Fix Pack 3 is included in the v9.7fp3_25387_nt32_client.exe file.
- The IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI (Windows/x86-32 32 bit) V9.7 Fix Pack 3 is included in the v9.7fp3_25387_nt32_odbc_cli.zip file.
If only the ODBC driver is desired, the "IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI" package can be downloaded. Once this is done, follow the steps below to establish a remote connection to the Tivoli Storage Manager DB2 database.
1) Edit the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file and add the
following line :
Make sure to press enter at the end of the line otherwise the line may not be read properly later.
2) Open a Windows command prompt and enter :
This will setup the db2 environment and open a new prompt. From the new prompt, enter :
db2 update dbm cfg using svcename db2c_DB2TSM
3) Stop and restart the Tivoli Storage Manager server instance.
Following that, the TSM server will be listening on port 50000 for remote connection.. You can change the port in step 1 to any unused tcpip port of your choice.
4) On the remote Windows machine with the DB2 odbc driver installed, the db2cli.ini file looks like this :
Hostname=<tcpip hostname of remote tsm server>
Following that, an ODBC connection to the remote host running the Tivoli Storage Manager server instance should succeed.
The UID/PWD in the db2cli.ini file should be a valid operating system userid/password on the system where the Tivoli Storage Manager server is installed. For example, the server instance userid and password.
The Tivoli Storage Manager server may already be enabled to listen on a specific port for remote connections. This is true for the following environments :
- Tivoli Storage Manager V6.1 and V6.2 on AIX with local database connections converted to TCPIP.
- Tivoli Storage Manager V6.3 running on any supported platform.
- Starting with V6.3, the default port number is 51500.
db2 get dbm cfg
Verify the value for the SVCENAME parameter and verify the operating system "services" file
(Windows=c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services - AIX=/etc/services) to confirm the port being used.
17 June 2018