Preventive Service Planning
This document contains information about the stand alone IBM Data server driver for ODBC and CLI Versions 9.7, 10.1, 10.5, 11.1 and 11.5. Briefly described below are the following topics: Overview, License, Download, Installation, and Related Information.
For further discussion on this topic, visit this developerWorks forum thread:
What is it?
Starting from DB2 Version 9.1, there is a separate stand alone CLI and ODBC driver called the IBM® Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI. This driver is installed and configured separately and supports a subset of the functionality of the IBM® Data Server Clients. It Provides runtime support for applications using CLI APIs, or ODBC APIs without the need of installing the Data Server Client or the Data Server Runtime Client. This driver is available only as a compressed file, not as an installable image. Messages are reported only in English.
The IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI provides runtime support for:
- the DB2® CLI application programming interface (API)
- the ODBC API
- the XA API
- database connectivity
- the DB2 Interactive Call Level Interface (db2cli)
- LDAP support (but LDAP cache is not saved to disk)
- tracing, logging, and diagnostic support.
Who Uses it?
The IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI is a lightweight deployment solution designed for independent software vendors (ISV) deployments.
Why use it?
- The driver has a much smaller footprint than the IBM Data Server Client and the IBM Data Server Runtime Client.
- You can have multiple installations of the driver on a single machine.
- You can install the driver on a machine that already has an IBM Data Server Client installed.
- You can include the driver in your database application installation package, and redistribute the driver with your applications. Under certain conditions, you can redistribute the driver with your database applications royalty-free.
- The driver can reside on an NFS mounted file system.
When was it introduced?
The ODBC CLI driver is available starting from DB2 version 9.1.
The IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI can be used to connect only to one of the following properly licensed servers:
- DB2® Database for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows®
- DB2® Connect™ Server
- InfoSphere™ Federation Server
- IBM Informix® Dynamic Server
- DB2 for z/OS®
- DB2 for IBM i
- DB2 Server for VM and VSE
- a connection is established through a properly licensed DB2 Connect server; or
- a properly formatted authentic DB2 Connect license file is present for directly connecting to the server. The license file is distributed as part of the DB2 Connect products, so the only way to obtain this license key file is to purchase one of the following DB2 Connect products:
- DB2 Connect Personal Edition
- DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition
- DB2 Connect Application Server Edition
- DB2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System z®
- DB2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System i®
- The relevant license file can be located on the DB2 Connect install image in the /db2/license directory
To install the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI, you need to obtain the compressed file that contains the driver. It is available to download from the internet, and it is on the DB2® Version install CD.
You can obtain the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI by doing either of the following:
- Go to the IBM Support Fix Central Web site: http://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/. Data Server client and driver packages are found under the Information Management Product Group and IBM Data Server Client Packages Product selection. Select the appropriate Installed Version and Platform and click Continue. Check the Browse for fixes radio button and click continue. You will be presented with a list of all client and driver packages available for your platform, including IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI.
- Copy the driver from the DB2 install CD.
- You can also download from Fix Packs by version for IBM Data Server Client Packages. Select the Fix pack under the version column, then select the platform/OS from IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI product section. From the available downloads, select the appropriate driver. Then check the needed fix packs and click continue and download using any method of your choice. If the needed fix pack is not available in the above link then you could obtain it from http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27016878
by following the same steps as described above.
The driver is also available to download at :
IBM Data Server Client Packages (10.5.*, All platforms)
IBM Data Server Client Packages (10.1.*, All platforms)
IBM Data Server Client Packages (9.7.*, All platforms)
IBM Data Server Client Packages (9.5.*, All platforms)
The driver is in a compressed file called “ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.zip” on Windows® operating systems, and “ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z” on other operating systems.
There is no installation program for the stand alone IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI. You must install the driver manually:
- Copy the compressed file that contains the driver onto the target machine from the internet or a DB2 Version installation CD.
- Uncompress that file into your chosen install directory on the target machine.
- Optional: remove the compressed file.
If you are installing the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI under the following conditions:
- the operating systems on the target machine is AIX®; and
- the DB2 Version CD is mounted on the target machine.
the steps you would follow are:
- Create the directory $HOME/db2_cli_odbc_driver, where you will install the driver.
- Locate the compressed file ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z on the install CD.
- Copy the tar file ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z to the install directory, $HOME/db2cli_odbc_driver.
- Uncompress ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z:
- cd $HOME/db2_cli_odbc_driver
- tar -xvf ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar
- Delete ibm_data_server_driver_for_odbc_cli.tar.Z.
- Ensure the following if you installed the driver on a NFS file system:
- On UNIX® or Linux® platforms the db2dump and the db2 directory need to be writable. Alternatively, the path you have referenced in the diagpath parameter must be writable.
- If host or i5/OS® data servers are being accessed directly ensure the license directory is writable.
If you are installing the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI on Windows Platform, then you could copy the compressed folder under C:\Program Files\IBM and uncompress it. If you want to register the newly installed driver into the ODBC Administrator tool, then run the exe db2cli.exe located under the bin directory of the uncompressed driver(e.g: <uncompressed driver folder>/bin/db2cli.exe) from the Admin Command Prompt (right click on the command prompt and choose "Run as administrator") as:
cd <uncompressed driver folder>/bin
db2cli install -setup
( Note: If you are installing the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI version 9.7 GA, FP1, FP2 or FP3 then use 'db2oreg1.exe' instead: db2oreg1 -i
After the above command is run to complete, you could see the driver registered in the ODBC Data source Administrator's Driver panel.
If you are installing 32-bit ODBC Driver on 64-bit Windows Operating System then you might hit the error "Data source name not found and no default driver specified".
Please follow the guidelines from the below link to resolve the issue:
Pointing to 32 bit ODBC driver on 64 bit Microsoft system
You could also find the resolution in the Microsoft Technote:
Restrictions of the IBM Data Server Driver for ODBC and CLI
Link to DB2 V11.5 Information Center for:
Configuring environment variables
For further discussion on this topic, visit this developerWorks forum thread:
Was this topic helpful?
22 August 2022