IBM Business Process Manager is vulnerable to open redirects, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input.
DESCRIPTION: IBM Business Process Manager could allow a remote attacker to conduct phishing attacks, using an open redirect attack. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web site, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to spoof the URL displayed to redirect a user to a malicious Web site that would appear to be trusted. This could allow the attacker to obtain highly sensitive information or conduct further attacks against the victim.
CVSS Base Score: 7.4
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/122891 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:N/I:H/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52
- IBM Business Process Manager V184.108.40.206 through V220.127.116.11
- IBM Business Process Manager V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124
- IBM Business Process Manager V126.96.36.199
- IBM Business Process Manager V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206 CF2
- IBM Business Process Manager V220.127.116.11 through V18.104.22.168 Cumulative Fix 2016.12
Note: A fix for IBM BPM V8.5.7 cumulative fix (CF) 2017.03 is available even though IBM BPM V8.5.7 CF 2017.03 is not vulnerable to this security issue. The intention of this interim fix is to prevent the following unnecessary warning message in IBM Installation Manager, which you see when you upgrade IBM BPM:
"One or more fixes will be uninstalled when IBM(R) Business Process Manager <Advanced | Standard | Express> is updated to 8.5.7. CF2017.03. The update does not address issues that were resolved previously by the maintenance packages. The problems might return if fixes for the the following issues are not reapplied or have new fixes applied to prevent the problems from returning.
- JR57478 in the package IBM(R) Business Process Manager <Advanced | Standard | Express> 8.5...
- JR57590 in the package IBM(R) Business Process Manager <Advanced | Standard | Express> 8.5..."
The recommended solution is to apply the fixes as below:
- IBM Business Process Manager Advanced
- IBM Business Process Manager Standard
- IBM Business Process Manager Express
As IBM Business Process Manager V7.5 is out of general support, customers with a support extension contract can contact IBM support to request the fix.
For IBM BPM V22.214.171.124 through V126.96.36.199:
- Upgrade to minimal Refresh Pack 1, install Fix Pack 2 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR57478
- JR57590 is not required for the V7.5 release
- Upgrade to minimal Refresh Pack 1, install Fix Pack 3 as required by iFix and then apply iFix JR57478
- JR57590 is not required for the V8.0 release
For IBM BPM V188.8.131.52 through V184.108.40.206
For IBM BPM V220.127.116.11
For IBM BPM V18.104.22.168 through V22.214.171.124 CF2
For IBM BPM V126.96.36.199 through V188.8.131.52 CF 2016.12
- Install CF 2017.03
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
IBM strongly suggests that all System z customers be subscribed to the System z Security Portal to receive the latest critical System z security and integrity service. If you are not subscribed, see the instructions on the System z Security web site. Security and integrity APARs and associated fixes will be posted to this portal. IBM suggests reviewing the CVSS scores and applying all security or integrity fixes as soon as possible to minimize any potential risk.
17 October 2017: Clarify APARs for BPM versions
17 October 2017: JR58405 replaces incorrect APAR JR57478
18 May 2017: original document published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
15 June 2018