Question & Answer
Can I restore or retrieve files using another node that does not owns the data?
You can take one of the following methods to restore or retrieve files from a different client node.
Assume NodeA is the node which stores the data and NodeB is the node which restores or retrieves the data.
NodeA backs up or archives /home/* data.
 Use the fromnode option
1. On NodeA, give NodeB access to all files in the /home directory backed up by NodeA.
dsmc set access backup /home/* NodeB
2. Restore files from NodeB using the fromnode option.
dsmc restore "/home/*" /tmp/work/ -fromnode=NodeA
* You must give NodeB access to files on NodeA in advance of the restore operation.
* The password of NodeA is not required for the restore operation.
 Use the asnodename option
1. Grant proxy authority to NodeB on the Tivoli Storage Manager Server administrative command line.
grant proxyynode target=NodeA agent=NodeB
2. Restore objects from NodeB using the asnodename option.
dsmc restore "/home/*" /tmp/work/ -asnodename=NodeA
* You must grant proxy authority using administrative command line in advance of the restore operation.
* No step is required on NodeA.
* The password of NodeA is not required for restore operation.
 Use the virtualnodename option
1. Restore objects from NodeB using the virtualnodename option.
dsmc restore "/home/*" /tmp/work/ -virtualnodename=NodeA
* Any pre-configuration is not required.
* The password of NodeA IS required for the restore operation.
17 June 2018