Question & Answer
Can I configure QRadar to send me remote alerts once disk usage reaches a threshold?
Depending on the disk usage of each monitored partition, the hostcontext process in QRadar can display the following system notifications, alerting you to the status of each your current disk utilization. The System notification has 3 QIDs that can be used to create alerts and emails.
- Disk Sentry: Disk Usage exceeded warning threshold.
- Disk Sentry: Disk Usage exceeded max threshold.
- Disk sentry: System disk usage back to normal levels.
Disk Sentry: Disk Usage exceeded warning threshold: detects when the disk usage on your system is greater than 90%. The operation of your QRadar SIEM system is not affected when the partition reaches this threshold.
Disk Sentry: Disk Usage exceeded max threshold: this is displayed when disk usage reaches 95% on any of the monitored partitions. QRadar SIEM data collection (ecs) and search processes (ariel) are shut down in order to protect the file system from reaching 100%. You must free some disk space by deleting files or by changing your data retention policies.
Disk Sentry: System disk usage back to normal levels. After disk usage has reached a threshold of 95%, disk usage must return to 92% before QRadar SIEM automatically restarts data collection and search processes
You can create a Rule which will send you an email when the Disk Sentry receives an alert for the disk usage on your QRadar system.
- From the QRadar Web User Interface, go to the Offenses tab.
- Then Click on the left sidebar > Rules.
- From the pull down click on Actions > New Event Rule
- In the Rule Wizard, skip to the Rule Test page. Within this page. Search for the following rule test when the event QID is one of the following QIDs.
Add this test to your new rule's rule test list.
- Select the QID hyperlink at the end of this rule test, this will open a Menu which allows you to add a QID.
- Within the QID/Name Search field type Disk Sentry.
- Add the QID's matching the following using the Add button:
Disk Sentry Disk Usage Back to Normal
Disk sentry disk usage exceeded threshold
Disk Sentry disk Usage Exceeded Warning Threshold
Once all 3 QIDs have been added, select Submit.
- Back in the Rule Wizard test editor, type the name of the New Rule. Optionally, you can add the Rule to a Group and enter notes about your rule.
- Select Next
- In the Rule Response, under the responses select Send an Email. A field will appear allowing you to type the email address you want the notification to be sent to.
- Select Next.
- Select Finish.
You now have a Rule that will send you an Alert when any of these 3 Disk Sentry QID's have been detected.
Where do you find more information?
Was this topic helpful?
16 June 2018