An attacker can monitor a long-lived encrypted CCRC session and potentially decrypt the entire session.
|Subscribe to My Notifications to be notified of important product support alerts like this.
CVE ID: CVE-2014-0411
Description: Timing differences based on the validity of messages can be exploited to decrypt an entire SSL session. The exploit is not trivial, requiring a man-in-the-middle position and a long time (around 20 hours). ClearCase Remote Client is vulnerable to this attack if a single operation runs for such a long time.
CVSS Base Score: 4
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/90357 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (AV:N/AC:H/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
Only the ClearCase Remote Client/ClearTeam Explorer component of ClearCase is affected.
ClearCase Remote Client/ClearTeam Explorer version
8.0.1 through 18.104.22.168
8.0 through 22.214.171.124
7.1.2 through 126.96.36.199
7.1.0.x, 7.1.1.x (all versions and fix packs)
The solution is to upgrade to a newer fix pack of ClearCase. Please see below for information on the fixes available.
Applying the fix
|Install Rational ClearCase Fix Pack 4 (188.8.131.52) for 8.0.1|
|Install Rational ClearCase Fix Pack 11 (184.108.40.206) for 8.0|
7.1.2.x (except HP-UX)
|Install Rational ClearCase Fix Pack 14 (220.127.116.11) for 7.1.2|
7.1.1.x (except HP-UX)
7.1.0.x (except HP-UX)
|Install Rational ClearCase Fix Pack 14 (18.104.22.168) for 7.1.2
|7.1.2.x, 7.1.1.x, 7.1.0.x (HP-UX)||Customers with extended support contracts should install Rational ClearCase Fix Pack 16 (22.214.171.124)|
- If you use CCRC as an extension offering installed into an Eclipse shell (one not provided as part of a ClearCase release), you should update the Java™ Virtual Machine used by Eclipse to include a fix for CVE-2014-0411. Contact the supplier of your Eclipse or Java™ Virtual Machine for instructions on updating Eclipse.
- ClearCase 7.1.x for HP-UX uses the HP® JRE for J2SE™ HP-UX® 11i platform, adapted by IBM for IBM Software, Version 5.0. The fixes for this issue came in a later Java update for this platform, and are now available in a later ClearCase fix pack.
- Additional vulnerabilities in Java as used by Rational ClearCase have been published. Please review Security Bulletin: Java security vulnerabilities in ClearCase Remote Client (CVE-2014-4263, CVE-2014-4244) to determine whether these vulnerabilities apply to your deployment.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
* 10 December 2014: Updated for HP-UX fixes
* 24 June 2014: Original copy published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
Internal Use Only
IBM20140130-2047-46 Advisory DB ID = 1455 (Java January 2014 update) record 32538
The following material is for reviewers' reference (especially product attorneys). It will be removed prior to publishing:
The wording of the reference to HP's JRE comes from here:
The wording on the name for a Java VM comes from here:
10 July 2018