Question & Answer
How do I install, configure, and get started with CCRC CLI?
This document describes the installation and configuration of CCRC CLI.
The CCRC CLI is installed with the ClearTeam Explorer (CTE) package. This is available for install through the IBM Installation Manager.
This release of CCRC CLI (rcleartool) requires a CCRC WAN Server to be upgraded to ClearCase version 18.104.22.168 or higher.
IBM Rational ClearCase or IBM Rational ClearCase Remote Client
Installing either IBM Rational ClearCase or the IBM Rational ClearCase Remote Client installs CCRC CLI. These are sample paths to the installation:
IBM Rational ClearTeam Explorer Extension
If ClearTeam Explorer Extension is installed into a Rational Desktop product, the rcleartool script file will be installed alongside eclipse.exe for that product. For example when CTE is installed into Rational Team Concert (RTC), you could find the rcleartool files here:
NOTE: Installing ClearTeam Explorer Extension in RTC on Windows
When installing into RTC, the java path provided at installation time is not compatible with CCRC CLI. This is a known issue with this release. The following work around is required to use rcleartool under this scenario.
1. Locate rcleartool.bat
Example: C:\Program Files\IBM\TeamConcert\rcleartool.bat
2. Open the file for editing.
3. The following line must be modified, keep the path provided in <PATH TO TEAM CONCERT> and only replace javaw.exe with java.exe.
if not defined _JAVACMD set _JAVACMD=<PATH TO TEAM CONCERT>\jdk\jre\bin\javaw.exe
if not defined _JAVACMD set _JAVACMD=<PATH TO TEAM CONCERT>\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
4. Proceed to run rcleartool for the first time.
Running rcleartool for the first time
On the first run of rcleartool, there will be an automatic configuration of paths to determine where to find the rcleartool jars and the CM API jars path. This information is written to the rcleartool script for future use with this release.
Note: An automatic configuration of paths will only work if the current directory must be the directory containing rcleartool, such as this:
# cd /opt/rational/clearcase/RemoteClient
Configuring rcleartool for first time use
Configuring /opt/ibm/RationalSDLC/clearcase/RemoteClient/rcleartool for first time use.
Finished updating /opt/ibm/RationalSDLC/clearcase/RemoteClient/rcleartool
RCleartool now configured for use. Please re-enter command.
Note: On Unix, rcleartool script requires root access to write/modify script itself. So if you run rcleartool script for the first time other than root then it will create a copy of rcleartool script into the user's home directory and configure it automatically. You can use this new rcleartool script for future rcleartool use.
Adding rcleartool to your system PATH
Installing CCRC CLI does not automatically add rcleartool to your PATH variable. If you want to be able to run the 'rcleartool' command from any directory, add the installed directory (see above for example paths to rcleartool).
What is rcleartool.conf?
The file 'rcleartool.conf' is a text file that should be present in the same directory as 'rcleartool.bat' (or 'rcleartool' on UNIX). This file is used to provide any custom Java VM flags. For instance, if you wanted to specify a particular language, in this example Spanish, you could add a line to the file 'rcleartool.conf':
There are no required properties to be set in this file at this time.
Manual configuration of the rcleartool script
If you are installing ClearTeam Explorer from the Eclipse update site, 'rcleartool.bat' / 'rcleartool' scripts must be configured manually. Take the following steps to manually configure the rcleartool scripts. In the following example <ECLIPSE_HOME> refers to the location of your eclipse installation, the same directory eclipse.exe would reside.
- Copy 'rcleartool.bat' from (your path version number may be slightly different, choose the latest version of the CCRC CLI directory) <ECLIPSE_HOME>\plugins\com.ibm.rational.ccrc.cli_8.0.0.v20120614_0216\rcleartool.bat
- Open 'rcleartool.bat' to edit the following line replacing <JAVA_EXE_PATH> with the full path to your installed version of Java 6 (or greater) JRE:
if not defined _JAVACMD set _JAVACMD=_JAVA_CMD_PATH_
if not defined _JAVACMD set _JAVACMD=<JAVA_EXE_PATH>
Here is an example of a valid input for this line:
if not defined _JAVACMD set _JAVACMD=C:\Program Files\IBM\Java60\jre\bin\java.exe
- Run the 'rcleartool.bat' file once to configure the remaining paths automatically. Note: An automatic configuration of the remaining paths will only work if the current directory must be the directory containing rcleartool.
- You may now add <ECLIPSE_HOME> to your system PATH variable in order to run rcleartool from any directory in your command window.
- Copy 'rcleartool.bat' from (your path version number may be slightly different, choose the latest version of the CCRC CLI directory) <ECLIPSE_HOME>\plugins\com.ibm.rational.ccrc.cli_8.0.0.v20120614_0216\rcleartool
- Open 'rcleartool' to edit the following line replacing <JAVA_EXE_PATH> with the full path to your installed version of Java 6 (or greater) JRE:
Here is an example of a valid input for this line:
- Run 'rcleartool' once to configure the remaining paths automatically. Note: An automatic configuration of the remaining paths will only work if the current directory must be the directory containing rcleartool.
- You may now add <ECLIPSE_HOME> to your system PATH variable.
16 June 2018