Question & Answer
How do you customize the Login Page for IBM Rational Team Concert?
Some deployments would prefer to include specific information or user agreements on the Rational Team Concert Login Page instead of the current IBM Copyright information.
This document contains the instructions for replacing the IBM license text that appear at the bottom of the dialog of the Web UI for Rational Team Concert 3.0 and 4.0 (any ifix). Ensure you take backups of each of the WAR and JAR files before proceeding with the next steps.
NOTE: .war files and .jar files are simply zip files that contain special manifest files. To extract these archives, you can use any zip tool such as WinZip, 7-Zip, the zip command line tool in unix, or the built-in zip support in file systems explorers such as the Windows Explorer in Windows 7. You may need to temporarily rename the files and add a ".zip" extension in order for the file to be recognized as a zip, but remember to rename it back to the original name afterwards.
When replacing the contents of zipped archives, make sure that the path inside the archive is correct. You can verify that an archive was correctly updated by viewing the archive with a tool and check that the timestamp of the update file is newer than the others, and that it contains the correct path.
NOTE: The steps below refer to a ccm.war and ccm folders. If the server was upgraded from Rational Team Concert 2.x, these will be jazz.war and jazz folder instead of ccm.
Part 1: Modify the WAR files
The license text is located inside a JAR file within a WAR files. You must first extract the archives, update the text, then re-archive.
- Locate the jts.war at <rtc_install_dir>/jazz/server/tomcat/webapps/jts.war and copy it to a temporary working directory.
- Extract the /WEB-INF/eclipse/plugins/net.jazz.web.app_2.1.0.v20101215_0114.jar file from the WAR. The timestamp portion of the filename may be different depending on the exact version/ifix.
For 4.x the net.jazz.web.app_xxxxxxx.jar has moved to the respective application folder under the /server/conf directory.
- Extract the following files from the JAR file:
- Update or replace the license text in the file with the desired content. The html format must be maintained.
- Replace the file in the JAR with the modified one. Inspect the JAR to make sure the paths are correct (same as before) and the timestamp is newer on the file.
- Replace the JAR file in the WAR file, and verify that the path is correct and the timestamp is newer.
- Replace the original jts.war with this new modified one.
- Repeat steps 1-7 for the ccm.war file located in the same directory as the jts.war.
You now have updated WAR files. If you intend to update the text on more than one server, you can keep a copy of these modified WARs and use them to replace the WARs for other servers. However, you should only do this for RTC servers of the same version (and ifix). For newer versions, you must manually patch the new WARs again.
The above step will need to be done for each application.
Part 2: Redeploy the WARs
Part 2 is only for previously installed servers. If this is a new server that hasn't been started yet, you do not need to do this part.
Follow the instructions for your application server to undeploy the existing jts.war and ccm.war, and to deploy the new ones. For WAS, consult the documentation for the specific version you're using.
Below are instructions for Tomcat:
- Shut down the server.
- Delete the following files and folders:
- Start the server. Tomcat will automatically re-deploy the new WARs.
- Ensure you reprovision the server using
for each application, and then re-start the server.
After re-deployment, you must clear your browser's cache before you see the new icons.
Jazz and Rational Team Concert have an active community that can provide you with additional resources. Browse and contribute to the User forums, contribute to the Team Blog and review the Team wiki.
Rational Team Concert;Rational Quality Manager
16 June 2018