Technical Blog Post
50 DB2 Nuggets #44 : Tech Tip - What's inside db2support.zip?
When you open a Problem Management Record (PMR) with DB2 Support team, first thing we are interested in looking at is db2support.zip. Its a great handy tool collecting background information on your environment. Ever wondered what it has?
Extracting the db2support.zip file, the following files and directories were collected:
- DB2CONFIG/ - Configuration information (for example, database, database manager, BP, CLI, db2 node configuration and Java developer kit, among others) The files have “supp_cfg” as the file suffix.
- DB2DUMP/ - db2diag log file contents for the past three days
- DB2MISC/ - List of the sqllib directory etc. The files have “txt” as the file suffix.
- DB2SNAP/ - Output of DB2 commands (for example,db2set, db2level, LIST TABLES, LIST INDOUBT TRANSACTIONS, and LIST APPLICATIONS) . The files have “supp_out”as the file suffix.
- PURESCALE/- Diagnostic information for DB2 pureScale components, such as cluster manager, cluster file system and uDAPL
- db2supp_opt.zip - Diagnostic information for optimizer problems
- db2supp_system.zip - Operating system information
- db2support.html - Map to flat files collected in each subdirectory of the db2support.zip file listed in HTML format and diagnostic information formatted into HTML sections
- db2support.log - Diagnostic log information for db2support collection
- db2support_options.in - Command-line options used to start the db2support collection
- db2support.map - Map to flat files collected in each subdirectory of the db2support.zip file listed in plain text format
Information about Optimizer can be found in the db2supp_opt.zip file.
Extraction of this file finds the following directories:
- OPTIMIZER/ - Diagnostic information for optimizer problems. The files have “opt_out” as file suffix.
- OPTIMIZER/optimizer.log - File contains a log of all activities
- OPTIMIZER/CATALOGS - All the catalogs with LOBs in the following subdirectories (generated only if the LOB column in the catalog table is not empty):
- OPTIMIZER/DB2DUMP - db2serv output (serv.* and serv2.* output files)
System information can be found in the db2supp_system.zip file.
Extraction of this file finds the following file and directories:
- DB2CONFIG/ - db2cli.ini (files from ~/sqllib/cfg) etc.
- DB2MISC/ - DB2SYSTM file (binary), db2nodes.cfg file among others
- OSCONFIG/ - Different operating system information files (for example, netstat, services, vfs, ulimit, and hosts) . The files have “out” as file suffix.
- OSSNAP/ - Operating system snapshots (for example, iostat, netstat, uptime, vmstat, and ps_elf) . The files have “out” as file suffix.
- SQLDBDIR/ - Important database meta files (~/sqllib/sqldbdir)
- SQLGWDIR/ - DCS directory (files from ~/sqllib/sqlgwdir)
- SQLNODIR/ - Node directory (files from ~/sqllib/sqlnodir)
- SPMLOG/ - Files from ~/sqllib/spmlog
- report.log - Log of all collection activities
So don't forget to attach db2support.zip to PMR :)
Thanks for reading!