Technical Blog Post
Repairing items and PO's, quick and easy.
Over the last few weeks I have been speaking to more and more people with questions as to the best process for repairing assets. In the previous versions of Maximo there was never really an easy way of doing this, this has changed since Maximo 75. In versions 75 and later there has been a Repair Facilty option added, this little addition makes things so much easier.
The next key to this and the most important part is the PO. I have seen many customers create the PO against an item, wrong, we want to create the PO against a service. The servicing of the item is what we are paying for, we are not ordering a new item. With these 2 things in mind all will be much easier.
Here is the process I would use if I needed to repair an asset.
1. Enable the facility
2. Create the needed repair location, make sure to check the is repair facility box and make sure the type is
3. In the security group's application, there will now be a repair facilities tab, set the security access as needed.
Now that has all been done, we can now start the process of creating the repair request.
1. Move the asset to the repair location created.
2. Create a work order and in the repair facility field, add the repair location and the asset. Move to the plans tab, then to the services tab. Plan for the service that will be needed to fix the asset.
3. Run the re-order for the services and the PR or PO is created.
4. Approve the
5. Once the work has been done, we can now move the asset back to its needed location and close the PO.
I like to keep things as simple as possible when using Maximo if possible, I think this is as straight forward and simple as you can get.
Here are some links to some
Enablement of repair facilities
This document will show you how to go about enabling the repair facilities.
This document briefly describes the process.
And this document goes into more detail and shows you how to use the facility.