Technical Blog Post
Building an Aircraft Asset Hierarchy in Asset Configuration Manager
Howdy! Further to Edgar's blog about CM Items, What is Maximo ACMs CM Items(CM) application about?
here are the steps to build an Asset Hierarchy for an aircraft in Asset Configuration Manager.
1. Go to the Models (CM) application.
Create a new record called A320 with description Airbus A320.
Enter an LCN Structure e.g. 16666666
Top LCN = L
Label System = ATA
2. Go to the "Build Items" section.
Click "New Row" to create a new Build Item.
Enter 1ST STAGE ROTOR ASSEMBLY in the Build Item field.
Label System = ATA , Label = 490001 (There is no field validation in the Label field).
Enter 3840161-1 as the CM Item (If there is no CM Item from the lookup, please hyperlink to the CM Item Master application and create new CM Items).
3. Click "New Row" to create a another Build Item e.g. 2ND STAGE ROTOR ASSEMBLY
Label System = ATA , Label = 490002
Enter 3610894-11 as the CM Item
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 above to create many build Items.
5. Go to the "Configurations" tab.
De-select the "Abstract" checkbox.
Change the Configuration Status to Active.
6. Go to the "Build Hierarchy and Position Rules" tab.
Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy" section and select "New Child".
Select one of the existing build items.
Enter a position in the Position field.
7. Right-click on the Build Hierarchy section and select "New Sibling".
Select an existing Build Item, enter a position in the Position field:
8. Repeat step 6 and add 212 siblings.
9. Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy section" and select New Child.
Select build item "WHEEL-HALF INNER NLG" as the Build Item.
Enter a position.
Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy" section and select "New Sibling".
For example, select build item "TIRE NLG POS LH" as the Build Item.
Right-click on the Build Hierarchy section and select New Sibling.
For example, Select build item "WHEEL-HALF OUTER NLG" as the Build Item.
Now you have an asset hierarchy
10. Go up a level, Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy" section and select "New Sibling".
Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy" section and a new Child.
Right-click on the "Build Hierarchy" section and select a new Sibling.
Repeat the step above and add Sibling assets.
11. Repeat Step 10 above and enter Sibling and Child assets so that there will be around 592 records in the hierarchy.
A typical aircraft model will have around 4 to 5 levels of build hierarchy.
12. Go to Master PM (CM) application
Create a Master PM against the CM Items associated with Build Item in the Model e.g. A320.
Create a Frequency for both Time and Meter Based Frequency.
12. Go to the New Asset Assemblies application.
Create a new Asset called TA30.
CM Item = A320
Model = A320
Enter a Registration value TA30.
Asset status = Active
Save the record.
Enter Meters, Spare Parts, Condition Monitoring, Warranty details on the bottom of the screen.
From the "Select Action" menu, select 'Create Sub assemblies from the CM build'.
A System Message comes up: "BMXAM0226I - New asset sub assemblies and their meters created successfully."
8. Go to the "Sub Assemblies Details" tab.
Enter asset numbers in the Asset fields in the sub assemblies.
Save the record.
From the "Select Action" menu, change the status to Active.
Go to 'Select Action' menu, select Create Asset.
You will receive the system message: "System Message: BMXAM0224I - Asset created successfully."
9. Go to the Assets (CM) application.
Bring up Asset TA30.
Click the View tab. Expand the tree to confirm that an Asset Hierarchy is created.
10. Change the status of the parent asset from Operating to ACTIVE.
Check "Roll New Status to ALL Child Assets".
An Aircraft has now been created in Maximo.