New Installation Process for LIC using USB 3.0 media for IBM i 7.2 and later releases
IBM i 7.3 TR 3 and IBM i 7.2 TR 7 introduce a new installation method for Power Systems with POWER8 technology. USB 3.0 Removable Mass Storage technology is used to make the IBM i installation more convenient. Simply stated, the client can download IBM i images from the Entitled Systems Support (ESS) website, copy them to a USB flash drive, do a D-mode IPL on a managed system, and then install LIC, XPF, and any LPP images that fit onto the media. Note that the new USB-formatted images are in addition to, not in place of, the DVD media images currently available.
- Power System with POWER8 technology
- User supplied USB 3.0 Removable Mass Storage (i.e., USB 3.0 Flash Drive), with capacity from 8 GB up to 128 GB, attached to USB port in a System Unit or to an available USB 3.0 adapter port. Note that no particular brand of USB 3.0 Flash Drive is recommended; several have been tested at IBM, but if you find one that does not work, try another brand.
- IBM i 7.3 Technology Refresh PTF Group, level 3 or later; or IBM i 7.2 Technology Refresh PTF Group, level 7 or later
- To create the media using a PC, you need Java 7, 32bit or 64bit or higher, on a Windows PC.
- If you are obtaining an image from IBM, you must be a registered IBM customer on the ESS website via a customer number, or a hardware serial number of a machine within your enterprise.
There are several supported scenarios for this new process:
- Obtaining a bootable LIC media image on a USB 3.0 Flash Drive:
- You can download the LIC media image (USB image I_BASE_01_*.img, or DVD image I_BASE_01_*.udf) to an existing IBM i partition and use the DUPOPT command to copy it to a USB 3.0 Flash Drive.
- You can download the LIC media image (USB image I_BASE_01_*.img) to a Windows PC. Use the IBM-provided program from the ESS website to copy it to a USB 3.0 Flash Drive plugged into the PC.
- Stacking OS and any desired LPPs that fit onto the USB media:
- If the USB 3.0 Flash drive is plugged into an existing IBM i partition or a Windows PC, you can also copy XPF and any LPP images that fit onto the media.
- Performing D-mode IPL to use the bootable LIC media image:
- On a managed system (e.g. HMC-managed or IVM-managed), select the USB 3.0 adapter that has the copied LIC media image to perform the D-mode IPL
- On an unmanaged system, do a D-mode IPL using a DVD image at the same LIC version/modification level as the USB image to be installed. Then use the "Define alternate installation device" option to select the USB device to install LIC. Note that the D-mode device and the alternate install device must have the same LIC version/modification level when installing Licensed Internal Code.
For more detailed information, including specifics about software levels, go to Optical Containers.
Was this topic helpful?
10 January 2020