Technical Blog Post
You can filter dot notation columns on Result Set portlets on Start Center
If you are a Maximo user or a Start Center manager, you probably already created a Result Set portlet on your screen.
You must have also felt a need to add columns from other tables/objects to that portlet.
If so, you probably faced this technote:
On Result Set Portlet in Maximo 7x, Adding a Dot Notation/Joined Attribute
YES, now it is working perfectly.
BUT WAIT... Something is missing here!
I cannot filter/sort the dot notation column!!!
Well, actually this is really a product limitation and you won't be able to filter/sort the new dot notation column.
However, there is a work around for Maximo 7.5. You can use an Automation Script.
An automation script that copies the value from the source object column to a new column in the target object.
The following is an example on how to work with Work Order Tracking (WORKORDER) and Service Address (WOSERVICEADDRESS) objects.
An automation script that copies the value from WOSERVICEADDRESS.STREETADDRESS to WORKORDER.STREETADDRESS (a new user defined attribute).
So, at this point you would have a persistent attribute at WORKORDER object called STREETADDRESS, so you can add it to the portlet without a dot notation.
1. Go to Database Configuration app.
2. Create an new attribute as follow:
Attribute -> STREETADDRESS
Search Type-> WILDCARD
Persistent? -> TRUE
3. Save it and apply configuration changes.
4. Go to Application Designer and add the new STREETADDRESS attribute to the screen.
5. Go to Automation Scripts app
6. Create an Attribute Launch Point as follow:
Launch Point-> SERVICEADDRESS
Launch Point Variables:
Variable Type-> INOUT
Binding Type-> ATTRIBUTE
Binding Value-> STREETADDRESS
owner = mbo.getOwner()
7. Save it and change the status to Active.
8. Go to Work Order Tracking app
9. In the Service Address tab, enter a valeu to WOSERVICEADDRESS.STREETADDRESS
10. The value will be copied to WORKORDER.STREETADDRESS
11. You are now able to Filter the results of this column in the start center.
Note: This code (script) works for this specific business case. For any other case, the script will have to be changed and improved.