Technical Blog Post
From the Maximo Support Desk - Methods to Manage Vacation or Sick Time With Assignment and Scheduling Applications
There are multiple ways to administer, and otherwise account for a Person's vacation or sick time in regards to scheduling work in Maximo. Assignments are based on the Calendar, which does not include functionality for ad-hoc vacation or sick time data entry.
Information for individuals, such as vacation, sick, and personal time, as well as extra time worked, such as a double shift, is not stored on the main calendar record. These "exceptions" to the standard calendar are entered in the People application, using the Modify Person Availability action, or in the Assignment Manager application, using the Modify Availability icon.
When an application, such as Assignment Manager, needs to calculate the availability of a person, it uses a combination of the standard calendar assigned to the person and the "exceptions" to determine the person's availability for a given day, shift, and so forth.
With that in mind, it is most expedient, and will require less administration, if all known holidays or global availability is set up in the Calendar.
To Create a Calendar:
1. Go To Administration | Calendars
2. Click on the New Calendar button
3. In the Calendar field enter a name, such as "2010"
4. In the Description field enter text, such as "Working Calendar 2010"
5. In the Start Date and End Date fields use the Select Date button
6. Save the record
7. Create Shifts
- Select Action | Define/Apply Shifts
- Click on the New Row button
- In the Shift field enter "Mon-Fri"
- Enter a description, such as "Monday to Friday"
- In the Start Day field | Select Value | click on MONDAY
- In the Days in Pattern field enter 5
- Click on the Define Pattern button
- In the Start Time field enter "8:00 am" and tab to the End Time field; enter "5:00 pm" and tab to the Work Hours field; enter 8 and tab out
- In the second row click on the "Fill out workdays data" button all the way to the right of the row; this will enter the same data for the remaining rows
- Click OK
- Back at the Define/Apply Shifts dialog box click on the Apply Shift(s) button
- The default setting is to apply this shift to the entire calendar; click OK
- Click OK again
8. Save the Calendar record
For any Holiday, or other non-working time which is applicable to all persons, this is defined in the Calendars application as well:
-In the Calendar record | Select Action | Define/Apply Non-Working Time
-Click on the New Row button
-Enter the Description, ex. "4th of July Holiday"
-Use the Select Date buttons at the Start Date and End Date fields to select 7/4/2017, for example
-In the Type field select HOLIDAY
-Click on Apply and then OK
-Save the Calendar record
As mentioned earlier, any ad-hoc changes to a Person's availability for assignment scheduling will be done in either the Person application or the Assignment Manager:
Tom Richardson is an IBM Maximo Support Engineer and frequent contributor to the Asset Management Blog community. For a complete index of links to his articles, visit
Index of articles by Tom Richardson, Support Engineer