Technical Blog Post
ITM Agent Insights: Installing IBM Installation Manager on Linux
The following post will help you install the IBM Installation Manager (IIM) on a Linux server. IIM is widely used to install components of the Jazz for Service Management (JazzSM) package. This post will only cover a plain vanilla install of the IIM product which can later be used to install any JazzSM services. The write up assumes you have the root privileges on the server and are able to create an admin user for the install. In this example I have installed IIM version 188.8.131.52
- First create a admin account via. command line on the server.
- For example IIM will be used for JazzSM which will be used for IBM Tivoli Monitoring (ITM) OS Agent reports or any other reports package. You can name it smadmin
- Here is the what you will need to do in the command line interface before installing IIM
- First make sure you are the root user. To do so execute su - root
- groupadd smadmin
- useradd –c “Jazz User” –g smadmin itmuser
- passwd itmuser
- ** now this is where you create a password for the account in this example itmpasswd is used
- Next create directory for the install
- mkdir –p /opt/IBM/itm
- cd /opt
- chown –R itmuser:smadmin IBM
- Now log in as the itmuser. To do so type su – itmuser
- cd /opt/IBM/itm
- mkdir IM
- cd IM
- mkdir –p InstallManager/eclipse
- mkdir IBMIMData
- mkdir IBMIMShared
- cd ..
- mkdir core NcKL
- mkdir IIMinstall
- Now is the time to go out and download the correct version of IIM
- For this example its 184.108.40.206 on a Linux x86 64 bit machine
- Go to IBM Fix Central site and sign in. https://www-945.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/downloadFixes?parent=ibm~Rational&product=ibm/Rational/IBM+Installation+Manager&release=220.127.116.11&platform=Linux&function=fixId&fixids=18.104.22.168-IBMIM-LINUX-X86_64-20170706_2137&useReleaseAsTarget=true&includeRequisites=1&includeSupersedes=0&downloadMethod=ddp
- This should bring you to the exact fix pack needed for the install. Then click download.
- Once downloaded move the file from the download director by doing this
- cd IIMinstall
- mv /home/ibmadmin/DownloadDirector/agent.installer.linux.gtk.x86_64_1.8.7000.20170706_2137.zip .
- if it says permission denied make sure you make yourself the root user again then go back and do move it again
- now unzip the file by typing unzip agent.installer.linux.gtk.x86_64_1.8.7000.20170706_2137.zip
- Lastly install it by typing ./groupinstc -dL /opt/IBM/itm/IM/IBMIMData -acceptLicense -installationDirectory /opt/IBM/itm/IM/InstallationManager/eclipse
- Then type these commands after it
- chmod 777 /opt/IBM/itm/IM/InstallationManager
- chmod –R g+rwx /opt/IBM/itm/IM/InstallationManager/eclipse/configuration
- chgrp -R itmadmin /opt/IBM/itm/IM/InstallationManager/eclipse/configuration
- Finally, to run IIM type this /opt/IBM/itm/IM/InstallationManager/eclipse/IBMIM
These steps will enable you to complete the IIM installation on a Linux server. This can be later used to install the JazzSM services or any other product set you desire to install using IIM.
Additional ITM Agent Insights series of IBM Tivoli Monitoring Agent blogs are indexed under ITM Agent Insights: Introduction.
Subscribe and follow us for all the latest information directly on your social feeds:
Check out all our other posts and updates: