Technical Blog Post
Message Broker Agent: Accounting Message Flow Statistics has no data
ITCAM for Messaging: Monitoring agent for WebSphere Message Broker (product code qi)
After the Message Broker agent (qi) is configured and started, some of the agent workspaces show data in TEP (Tivoli portal), however no data is displayed in the Accounting Message Flow Statistics workspace.
In this blog entry, we will discuss the steps required to generate Accounting Message Flow Statistics data for a WebSphere Message Broker (WMB).
Note: WMB is also known as IBM Integration Bus (IIB) in versions V9 and V10. We will use the terms Integration Server, IIB, Message Broker, WMB interchangeably.
See the References section for links to additional information.
- The Message Broker agent gets "Accounting Message Flow Statistics" data from the Message Broker. To get data for Message Flow Statistics, statistics should be enabled at the broker.
- The command mqsichangeflowstats is used to enable (and disable) message flow statistics for the broker.
- When statistics is enabled at the Message Broker, there is a potential for it to generate a large amount of data for the monitoring agent to process. This may cause increased memory and CPU requirement by the agent process. It is important to review the required type and scope of statistics collection before enabling it.
- Two main types of statistics for Message flow are possible: Snapshot and Archive.
- The "snapshot" type of collection occurs every 20 seconds and has performance impact due to frequent collection. It is recommended that you do not enable this type of collection for a long period of time. If required for debugging, then enable it only for a short period, and for specific flows and execution groups required for debugging. Agent has workspaces to display "Snapshot" type of message flow statistics, see screenshots in the entry.
- The "archive" type of collection occurs at the interval set at the broker. If you have a large number of execution groups and message flows, it is recommended that "archive" statistics collection for message flows be restricted to specific message flows to reduce the amount of data generated.
Refer to mqsichangeflowstats command options in the IIB documentation at link provided in References section.
Interval for statistics collection
The Statistics Major Interval setting determines the interval at which Message Broker generates statistical data (type=archive).
Check current setting for Statistics Major Interval
Check the current setting of Statistics Major Interval on broker by running following command, and check the value of 'Statistics major interval' in the output, by default this is 60 minutes:
Output will include the current setting as follows:
Statistics major interval = '60' minutes
Set Statistics Major Interval as per your requirement
To increase the frequency at which statistics is generated by the message broker, you can set a smaller value for statistics interval by using mqsichangebroker command.
Note that you will need to stop the broker before running the mqsichangebroker command:
To set 'Statistics Major Interval' to 10 minutes, use following command:
mqsichangebroker broker_name -v 10
Start the broker.
The statistics interval should now be set to 10 minutes.
Enable Message Flow Statistics
Check current settings for the message flow statistics
Use mqsireportflowstats command to check the current settings for statistics.
Following outputs show that the Archive statistics collection at the Integration Server is currently inactive.
Archive type statistics is inactive (-a):
mqsireportflowstats IBNODE01 -a -g -j
BIP8187I: Statistics Archive collection for flow TemperatureConverter/gen.TemperatureConverter in integration server default is inactive. Settings: ThreadDataLevel: none, NodeDataLevel: none, OutputFormat: usertrace, AccountingOrigin: none
Snapshot type statistics is inactive (-s) (Remember the warning earlier that this should not be enabled due to performance impact.)
mqsireportflowstats IBNODE01 -s -g -j
BIP8187I: Statistics Snapshot collection for flow TemperatureConverter/gen.TemperatureConverter in integration server default is inactive. Settings: ThreadDataLevel: none, NodeDataLevel: none, OutputFormat: usertrace, AccountingOrigin: none
Activate Accounting Message Flow Statistics collection at the broker
Use mqsichangeflowstats command to activate message flow statistics collection on the broker. Note that the broker should be in 'running' state to run this command.
mqsichangeflowstats IBNODE01 -a -g -j -c active -t basic -n basic -o xml
BIP8071I: Successful command completion.
The message broker will start collecting message flow statistics at the interval set at the broker. There is no need to restart the broker after activating statistics collection.
The setting at the broker should now active as shown below:
mqsireportflowstats IBNODE01 -a -g -j
BIP8187I: Statistics Archive collection for flow TemperatureConverter/gen.TemperatureConverter in integration server default is active. Settings: ThreadDataLevel: basic, NodeDataLevel: basic, OutputFormat: xml, AccountingOrigin: none.
You can refer to mqsichangeflowstats command options in the IIB documentation at link provided in References section and customize the statistics collection in your environment.
Check Accounting Message Flow Statistics workspaces
Access the Message Broker agent Accounting Message Flow Statistics item in TEP.
Screen shot 1 shows the default workspace at the Accounting Message Flow Statistics navigation item in TEP. You can access other workspaces from the same node by right-clicking the navigator as shown in screen shot 2.
Linked workspaces are available to drill down at row level with a right click as shown in Screenshot 3.
Screen shot 1: Archive Accounting Message Flow Statistics workspace
Screen shot 2: Workspaces available at the Accounting Message Flow Statistics navigation item:
Screen shot 3: Linked workspaces for Archive Accounting Message Flow Statistics
mqsichangeflowstats command - Windows, Linux and UNIX systems
WebSphere Message Broker Monitoring agent reference
Configuration best practices
Related blog entries:
Message Broker agent: historical data collection for Accounting Message Flow Statistics
Message Broker Agent: Resource Statistics workspace shows no data
Subscribe and follow us for all the latest information directly on your social feeds:
|Academy Twitter :||https://goo.gl/AhR8CL|