Technical Blog Post
End of Support for WebSphere v7.0, v8.0 and Java 6 in WebSphere v8.5, April 2018
In September 2016, IBM announced the end of service date for WebSphere Application Server V7.0 and WebSphere Application Server V8.0 is April 2018 and support for Java 6 with Liberty ended in September 2017. WebSphere Application Server v8.5 and WebSphere Application Server v9.0 are available today at no additional charge to WebSphere Application Server clients with active subscription and support.
End of Support Dates:
- WebSphere Application Server V7.0 – April 30, 2018
- WebSphere Application Server V8.0 – April 30, 2018
- Java 6 in traditional WebSphere Application Server V8.5 – April 30, 2018
- Java 6 in Liberty - September 30, 2017
- Java 7 in Liberty - September 30, 2019
- Java 7 in traditional WebSphere Application Server V8.5 – July 31, 2022
New Migration Hint & Tips:
Do you have questions about WebSphere migrations? Get your answers here:
1) Start with these new Migration IBMSupportTV YouTube videos:
Migrating WebSphere Application Server cells using the command-line tools:
Remote Migration playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_4RxtD-BL5sOxq6ruiD8W5qw-mzySBQk
Local Migration playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuyAKDqTYuA&list=PL_4RxtD-BL5sfI7AN07R20MzV01yhshVv
For WebSphere Application Server V8.5 users, support of Java 6 with traditional WebSphere Application Server will end in April 2018 and support for Java 6 with Liberty ended in September 2017. Support for Java 7 with Liberty will be discontinued after September 2019. Please note that Java 7 with traditional WebSphere Application Server will now be fully supported until July 2022. The Java 7 support statement is a change from the original September 2017 announcement WebSphere Application Server V8.5 provides the option to use Java 6, Java 7, or Java 8. Customers using WebSphere Application Server for V8.5 are recommended to move up to Java 8. Please refer to the corresponding announcements for a complete list of dates for Distributed and z/OS environments.
IBM Migration Assistance:
To help move to later versions of WebSphere Application Server and Java, IBM is offering migration workshops. Please see the link for dates and times of a city near you: ibm.biz/webspheremigration. If you would like more information on IBM migration offers or assistance please contact your sales representative and visit the Migration Knowledge Collection.
Products that include WebSphere Application Server:
If your installation of WebSphere Application Server was provided as part of another product then these dates may not apply to you. Please contact the product’s support team that included WebSphere to learn of the end of service dates. You may also consult the Software lifecycle page.
Migration References and Assistance:
Below are links to WebSphere Application Server technical support documents and assistance related to migrating. It is intended to help you be proactive in the support and administration of your software.
- WebSphere Migration Strategy
- Migration Decision Support Tool
- WebSphere Application Server Migration Discovery Tool
- WebSphere Application Server Migration Toolkit overview
- WebSphere Application Server 8.5 WebSphere Migration Guide - Redbook
- WebSphere Application Server Migration blog – Start Here
- WebSphere Application Server Migration Guide Blog
- Migration Workshops
- Migration Assist (UNIX & Windows platforms only)
- Java 6 EOS blog
Announcements and References:
- Software lifecycle page
- Software withdrawal and service discontinuance announcement for Distributed environments
- Software withdrawal and service discontinuance announcement for z/OS environments
08/04/2017 - Added New Migration Hint & Tips section
12/07/2017 - Added a new Tip to the Migration Hint and Tips section