Preventive Service Planning
This document details the Microsoft® Office 365 backup and restore requirements for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Version 10.1.5.
This document is divided into linked sections for ease of navigation. Use the following links to jump to the section of the document that you require.
If you choose to protect Microsoft Office 365 with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, you need to purchase IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for Microsoft Office 365. For more information about this entitlement, see IBM Spectrum Protect V10.1.5 announcement letter
Before you register a proxy host server with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, ensure that the system environment meets the following requirements.
Note: The proxy host server is referred to in the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user interface (UI) under Manage Protection > Applications > Office 365 as the application server.
To protect a Microsoft Office 365 application, you must register the application with Azure Active Directory and grant appropriate permissions. To be able to do that, ensure that you have the following criteria available to you:
- An Active Microsoft Office 365 subscription.
- The Microsoft Office 365 administrative user ID and password.
For instructions, see Registering with Azure Active Directory
Ensure that you have a Microsoft Office 365 administrative account. Then, you can add users to ensure that they have valid licenses. For instructions, see Microsoft 365 in Visual Studio subscriptions
Note: The IBM Spectrum Protect Plus server and agent user do not store administrative user IDs and passwords for the Microsoft Office 365 tenant.
- Microsoft Office 365 Business
- Microsoft Office 365 Business Premium
- Microsoft Office 365 Business Essentials
- Microsoft Office 365 Education
Note: The Microsoft Office 365 tenant must be in a global region as defined by Microsoft. National regions are not supported. For more information about regions, see National cloud deployments
The following operating systems are supported:
- On Linux® x86_x64:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 and later maintenance and modification levels
- CentOS 7.0 and later maintenance and modification levels
IBM Spectrum Protect Plus supports proxy host server running on a physical (bare metal) server, and in a virtualization environment.
Ensure that the supported version of Linux x86_64 is installed.
In addition, the following software must be installed:
- Java™ 8
- The International Components for Unicode (libicu) rpm-package corresponding to the installed operating system
- The Secure Shell (SSH) service must be running on port 22 on the proxy host server and any firewalls must be configured to allow IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to connect to the proxy host server by using SSH. The secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) subsystem for SSH must also be enabled.
- The server can be registered by using a Domain Name System (DNS) name or Internet Protocol (IP) address. DNS names must be resolvable by IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.
- If DNS is not available, you must add the server to the
/etc/hostsfile on the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance by using the command prompt.
- The agent host must be registered with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus by using an operating system user that exists on the agent host. The agent host user is then referred to as the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent user.
- Ensure that the password is correctly configured and that the user can log in without other prompts, such as prompts to reset the password.
- The IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent user must have privileges to run commands as root using sudo. The sudoers configuration must allow the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent user to run commands without a password.
The proxy host server must have the native Linux NFS client installed. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus uses NFS to mount storage volumes for backup and restore operations.
The following ports are used by IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agents users. The ports use secure connections (HTTPS or SSL).
|22||Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)||IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance1||Proxy host server||Provides access to troubleshoot and maintain vSnap servers by using the Secure Shell (SSH) protocol|
1The IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance contains the base components: IBM Spectrum Protect Plus server, site, vSnap server, vSnap pool, and VADP proxy.
|111||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Allows Open Network Computing (ONC) clients to discover ports for communications with ONC servers|
|443||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Allows agents to communicate with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for sending alerts if log backup failures|
|2049||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Used for NFS data transfer to and from vSnap servers|
|20048||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Mounts vSnap file systems on clients such as the VMware vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP) proxy, application servers, and virtualization data stores|
|Compatible hardware with quad-core processor supported by the operating system||5 GB of available disk space for temporary files at run time||4 GB Random Access Memory (RAM)|
Was this topic helpful?
29 May 2020