IBM Db2 Mirror for i configurations may be subject to this security vulnerability. A PTF for IBM i 7.4 and remediation steps are available.
DESCRIPTION: IBM i 7.4 users who have done a Restore User Profile (RSTUSRPRF) on a system which has been configured with Db2 Mirror for i might have user profiles with elevated privileges caused by incorrect processing during a restore of multiple user profiles. A user with restore privileges could exploit this vulnerability to obtain elevated privileges on the restored system.
CVSS Base Score: 6.7
CVSS Temporal Score: See https://exchange.xforce.ibmcloud.com/vulnerabilities/165592 for the current score
CVSS Environmental Score*: Undefined
CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:N)
Affected Products and Versions
- apply the PTF to IBM i 7.4, and
- on systems with Db2 Mirror configured, review the scenarios below and take the steps if needed.
- Delete any user profile error entries on the OTL that contain 'RSTUSRPRF user_name' in the Description field. Use the GUI to delete the entries.
- Resume Db2 Mirror using the GUI.
- Redo the RSTUSRPRF. You MUST use the same Save Security Data (SAVSECDTA) media as the original RSTUSRPRF. Do not use a SAVSECDTA media that was created after doing a RSTUSRPRF with Db2 Mirror configured and without the PTF applied.
Workarounds and Mitigations
Get Notified about Future Security Bulletins
23 August 2019: Original Version Published
*The CVSS Environment Score is customer environment specific and will ultimately impact the Overall CVSS Score. Customers can evaluate the impact of this vulnerability in their environments by accessing the links in the Reference section of this Security Bulletin.
According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES ""AS IS"" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
18 December 2019