Question & Answer
To manage IBM libraries and drives on a Linux platform for a Tivoli Storage Manager server or storage agent, follow the detailed steps to configure the lin_tape device driver.
The following packages are required to manage IBM libraries and IBM drives on a Linux system:
- The device driver for managing IBM libraries and IBM drives
- The lin_taped daemon program can automatically create or delete special files under the /dev directory that correspond to the attached or detached tape devices.
- ITDT is a tape utility program that exercises or tests the functions of the Linux device driver.
1) Steps to download the lin_tape and ITDT packages :
Download the lin_tape packages from Fix Central by referencing Technote 1428656.
Select the following :
Product Group - Storage system
Product Family - Tape systems
Product Type - Tape device drives and software
For lin_tape and lin_taped, select tape device drivers
For ITDT, select tape diagnostic tool ITDT
Platform : choose appropriate operating system
After selecting the above, you will be prompted to download the package. For example, the following device driver package is listed :
This package contains the following :
2) Steps to install lin_tape or lin_tape-1.61.0-1.src.rpm from previous example:
Use the following command :
rpmbuild --rebuild lin_tape-1.61.0-1.src.rpm
The output of the command is very large. Near the end, the command output looks like the following example:
# rpmbuild --rebuildlin_tape-1.61.0-1.src.rpm |tee lin-install.log Installing lin_tape-1.61.0-1.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.53402
Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files /var/tmp/lin_tape-1.61.0-1-root-root
Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.91513
+ exit 0
In this output, notice the line:
The file that is named on this line, /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64/lin_tape-1.61.0-1.x86_64.rpm, is the build package.
Run the following command to install the build package:
rpm -iv /usr/src/packages/RPMS/x86_64/lin_tape-1.61.0-1.x86_64.rpm
The command creates /dev/IBMtape and /dev/IBMchanger drives for an IBM library and drives.
3) Steps to install lin_taped or lin_taped-1.61.0-sles11.x86_64.rpm from previous example :
Run the following command to install lin_taped:
rpm -iv lin_taped-1.61.0-sles11.x86_64.rpm
4) Steps to install ITDT:
Obtain proper ITDT code from IBM Fix Central. You will be prompted to download the package. For example :
Install ITDT with the following commands :
chmod 700 itdtinst6.0.0.037LinuxX86_64
For more information on installation and usage of ITDT, refer to chapter 9 of the the "IBM Tape Device Drivers Installation and User's Guide" manual.
17 June 2018