How to install an XL C/C++, C for AIX, or VisualAge C++ compiler or runtime PTF on AIX.
Resolving The Problem
The recommended method of installing PTFs is using the SMIT utility. You must be logged in as root or have the superuser authority. Follow the instructions below to install a PTF:
- Download the desired PTF package - for example vacpp.70.aix50.may2005.ptf.tar.Z. See the Related URL section below for a link to the latest C and C++ compiler updates.
- Uncompress and untar the downloaded package into an empty directory:
- To uncompress the file use the command uncompress <filename>.tar.Z
- To untar the resulting file use the command tar -xvf <filename>.tar
- Generate a .toc file in the directory - use the command inutoc <PTF directory>
- Use the command smitty install_all to go the appropriate installation screen in SMIT.
- Install the PTF filesets:
- For INPUT device / directory for software specify the path of the directory where PTF filesets are located.
- On the next screen modify the installation options to suit your needs. Usually, it suffices to accept the default options.
SOFTWARE to install [all]
PREVIEW only? (install operation will NOT occur) no
COMMIT software updates? yes
SAVE replaced files? no
AUTOMATICALLY install requisite software? yes
EXTEND file systems if space needed? yes
OVERWRITE same or newer versions? no
VERIFY install and check file sizes? no
DETAILED output? no
Process multiple volumes? yes
ACCEPT new license agreements? no
Preview new LICENSE agreements? no
The installation log will be stored to file $HOME/smit.log.
Note: Reboot is not needed.
Was this topic helpful?
08 August 2018