IBM i 7.4 - TR7 Enhancements
|IBM i 7.4 -
Enhancements timed with
Technology Refresh 7 (TR7)
Note: The announcement materials for IBM i 7.4 TR7 can be found here.
The remainder of this landing page intends to make it easy to see the supporting detail for these enhancements.
Db2 for i Enhancements
Note: The following Db2 for i enhancements are delivered by Db2 for i PTF Group SF99704 Level 23.
- SQL Error Logging Facility (SELF)
- COMMENT on table function return columns
- QSYS2.SYSCOLUMNSTAT enhanced for variable length columns
- Online reorganize physical file member (RGZPFM) enhancement
IBM i Services (new)
- QSYS2.HARDWARE_RESOURCE_INFO & QSYS2.HARDWARE_RESOURCE_INFO()
- NVMe Device Locking Policy services
- ObjectConnect services
- Submitted Job Tracker services
IBM i Services (enhanced)
- QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES and QSYS2.OUTPUT_QUEUE_ENTRIES()
- QSYS2.SYSDISKSTAT and QSYS2.SYSDISKSTAT()
- QSYS2.SYSTEM_STATUS_INFO and QSYS2.SYSTEM_STATUS()
Db2 for i - Services (enhanced)
General Operating System
- Compression with the ZLIB algorithm - Save Commands and APIs
- Clustering Enhancements
- DSPASPSTS notifications
- More user profile attributes are synchronized
- Cluster Administrative Domain job submission parameter changes
- IBM Power S1022s (9105-22B) adds 2 x 4-core P10 software tier offering
- Support for VIOS 3.1.4, including VIOS dump improvements
- #EJBD -- Storage Backplane with two NVMe U.2 (15mm) Flash drive bays for Power E1080 servers
- #EC75, #EC76 -- PCIe4 2-port 100Gb NIC/RoCE QFSP56 adapter
- #EN2W, #EN2X -- PCIe3 4-port 10GbE BaseT RJ45 adapter
- #EN1N, #EN1P -- PCIe4 64Gb 2-port Optical Fibre Channel adapter
- #EN1L, #EN1M -- PCIe4 32Gb 4-port Optical Fibre Channel adapter
- #ES3H -- Enterprise 800 GB SSD PCIe4 NVMe U.2 module for AIX/Linux
- Password protection for data on NVMe devices on Power10 processor-based Power servers
- Manual disable of a disk path
The latest release of Node.js that will be on a long-term support (LTS) schedule is available. This release has numerous improvements in performance, security, and diagnostics. For more information on the Node.js release schedule, see https://github.com/nodejs/Release
You may need to install the IBM i 7.3 repository. For more information, see https://ibmi-oss-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/yum/RELEASE_REPOS.html
The open source ‘tn5250’ emulator is available for PASE now has support for creating connections using TLS encryption. For more information on the tn5250 project, see https://sourceforge.net/projects/tn5250/
The IBM i Access Client Solutions Linux Application Package, which delivers the IBM i Access ODBC driver, is now more easily installable. IBM has provided public repositories that can be configured for multiple distributions of Linux. For more information, see https://kadler.io/2022/05/20/odbc-repos.html
Various enhancements have been made to IBM i extensions for VSCode, both by IBM and the community. Some examples:
• Database tooling now includes a new and improved schema browser
• SQL results are now only loaded "as needed" for large queries
• Major RPGLE linter auto-fix performance improvements
• Improved globalization support
For more information about IBM i extensions, see https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=HalcyonTechLtd.ibm-i-development-pack
- Track the state of jobs that are submitted to a job queue that is registered to be tracked
- Replicate the state of a job to the other node.
- In the event of a failure, resubmit the job on the other node
- Configure and manage IFS IASP replication using geographic mirroring for two node replication requirements.
- PowerHA still required for configurations that use storage hardware replication.
Was this topic helpful?
12 October 2022