Question & Answer
How do you use licenses with IBM Rational Rhapsody?
This document will provide information on using single user and server licenses as well as license borrowing, dongles and redundant server configuration.
There are two main options for using licenses with IBM Rational Rhapsody.
- Download an AUTH USER license from IBM Support Licensing
- Create an environment variable called TELELOGIC_LICENSE_FILE and point it to the location of the license file.
- Refer to the Rhapsody documentation on Managing licenses for additional information please.
- Download the IBM Rational License Key Server V8.1.x Multilingual Multiplatform eAssembly (RLKS)
- Download a FLOATING license from IBM Support Licensing
- Install the RLKS
- Use either the License Key Manager or the older License Tools application to manage your licenses. See below for specific set-up instructions.
IBM License Key Manager (recommended):
- Launch the License Key Administrator from the Windows menu (start) > IBM Rational > License Key Administrator
- Select Import a Rational License File in the wizard
- Browse to the server license you downloaded and select Import
- Agree to this restart the license server
- Note that you should be presented with a confirmation message and a list of the individual license features available.
- Create on the client machine(s) an environment variable TELELOGIC_LICENSE_FILE and set it to 27000@<server>, where <server> is the IP address or hostname of the license server
Older License Tools application (LMTools):
- Open your server license file and remove any VENDOR rational or VENDOR telelogic lines
Note: You should have a single VENDOR ibmratl line remaining
- Launch LMTools from the Windows menu (Start) > IBM Rational > License Tools
- Use the Browse button in the Config Services tab to find the Path to the license file by selecting the adjacent button
- Press the Re-Read License File button in the Start/Stop/Reread tab
- Press the Start Server button.
- Check the log in the Config Services tab to check the server status or troubleshoot any errors
- On the client machine(s), create an environment variable TELELOGIC_LICENSE_FILE and set it to 27000@<server>, where <server> is the IP address or hostname of the license server
For additional information please refer to the Rhapsody documentation Managing licenses
16 June 2018