How to get the IBM OpenJ9 OpenJDK and set it as the workstation's default Java so that IBM i Access Client Solutions uses that Java.
1. Go to the IBM Semeru website to download the current IBM Open J9 JDK 11 using this URL:
And make sure that the options for Open JDK11 and Open J9 are selected as shown below. For this example, select the Windows x64 platform as shown.
2. IBM i Access Client Solutions only requires the JRE on Windows so select to download the MSI for that as shown.
3. Save the msi file to the workstation.
4. After saving the file, go to the download location and it will contain the saved msi file. Right click the file and select Properties and check the Unblock option and select Apply and then OK as shown here.
5. Double-click the msi file to launch the setup and select Next.
6. Check to accept the License Agreement and select Next.
7. Make sure all of the features are selected to be installed. If they are not, click the drop-down for the feature and select "Will be installed on local hard drive." When it is confirmed that all of the features are set to be installed, select Next.
8. Confirm the installation by selecting the Install option.
9. When the installation has completed, select Finish to exit the setup.
10. When IBM i Access Client Solutions is launched, the JAVA_HOME environment variable is investigated and if it is found to point to a valid location and that contains a compatible Java to use, it is used by the IBM i Access Client Solutions launch, as shown by the IBM i ACS Help -> About.
Was this topic helpful?
12 November 2021