User launches Controller. User receives error message.
An error occurred while trying to access the server
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.ArgumentException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ErrObject.Raise(Int32 Number, Object Source, Object Description, Object HelpFile, Object HelpContext)
at ControllerServerCommon.RaiseErrSrv.RaiseError(String sUser, Int32 lErrNo, String sErrSource, String sErrDesc, String sErrHelpFile, Int32 lErrHelpContext)
at FrServerB.LocalConnectionBusiness.SetSelectDb(String sGuid, String sUser, Boolean bSelectDb)
at FrServerB.ConnectionBusiness.SetSelectDb(String sGuid, String sUser, Boolean bSelectDb)
at Cognos.Controller.Proxy.CCRWS.ConnectionBusiness_SetSelectDb(String sGuid, String sUser, Boolean bSelectDb)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
There are several possible causes for this error.
- TIP: See separate IBM Technote #1680674 for more examples.
This Technote specifically relates to the scenario where the cause is that the IIS Application Pool's "Process Model" is set to use the wrong "identity".
Resolving The Problem
Modify the relevant IIS application pool so that the “Identity” is set to “LocalSystem”.
1. Inside IIS Manager, open the section 'Application Pools'
2. Locate the relevant application pool
- TIP: This is the one that is running your ControllerServer virtual application
Controller 10.3 (or later):
By default, this is the one called ‘.NET v4.5’ (with a managed pipeline set to 'Integrated')
By default, this is the one called ‘.NET v2.0’ (Integrated)'
3. Right-click on the relevant application pool (for example ‘.NET v4.5')) and choose 'Advanced Settings'
4. Modify the setting “Identity” to be “LocalSystem”:
Was this topic helpful?
15 June 2018