User launches browser (for example Internet Explorer or Firefox), and browses to the Controller Web website (http://servername:9080/fcm.web/login). This never finishes. The browser is constantly waiting for the webserver to respond.
Nothing appears in web browser (for example Internet Explorer) when the user launches Controller Web.
The browser (for example 'Firefox') simply appears to be waiting for the website to respond.
There are several known causes for the browser screen being white/blank when trying to connect to Controller Web.
- For more examples, see separate IBM Technote #2011952.
This Technote specifically relates to the scenario where the cause is that there is a clash (with a different service) which is trying to use the same TCP port (9080) that Controller Web is trying to use.
The most likely scenario is that the application server is also running Cognos Analytics server
- By default, Cognos Analytics (CA) server will use TCP port 9080. This is the same TCP port that Controller Web uses (by default).
- This causes a clash because Windows can only allocate the TCP port to one service.
Cognos Analytics installed/running on the same server as Controller Web.
Diagnosing The Problem
Browse to the '...fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.web\logs' folder.
- TIP: By default, this is here: C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.web\logs
Open the file 'console.log'. There will be an entry similar to:
- [ERROR ] CWWKO0221E: TCP Channel defaultHttpEndpoint initialization did not succeed. The socket bind did not succeed for host * and port 9080. The port might already be in use.
Resolving The Problem
Reconfigure Controller Web to use a different TCP port.
- For example, change it from using port 9080 to port 9081.
1. Logon to the Controller application server as an administrator
2. Open the '...servers\fcm.web' folder
- TIP: By default this is here: C:\Program Files\IBM\cognos\ccr_64\fcmweb\wlp\usr\servers\fcm.web
3. As a precaution, create a backup copy of the file: server.xml
4. Open the file "server.xml" in Notepad
5. Search for the line similar to:
<httpEndpoint host="*" httpPort="9080" httpsPort="9443" id="defaultHttpEndpoint">
6. Modify it to be similar to:
<httpEndpoint host="*" httpPort="9081" httpsPort="9443" id="defaultHttpEndpoint">
7. Save changes
8. Obtain some downtime (no users on the system) and reboot the application server
- TIP: Users will now have to connect via a different URL, for example: http://servername:9081/fcm.web/login
Was this topic helpful?
15 June 2018