Question & Answer
How do I update the user ID or password used by IBM Mobile Connect to connect to my relational database?
The databases used in conjunction with IBM Mobile Connect has had a change in either the User ID or Password for access.
For Windows Connection Managers
1. Stop the running Connection Manager
2. Edit the wgdbms.conf file [Default Path is C:\Program Files\IBM\Connection Manager\conf]
- Replace encrypted password for the wpsstoredbadminpw (wgdata) & acctdbadminpw (wgacct) attributes to the new password which was changed for the database server.
- If the User ID changed then the attributes to update in this file are wpsstoredadminid (wgdata) & acctdbadminid (wgacct).
3. Note - The passwords just updated in the file are shown in plain text, but in the next step you will run a command that both updates IMC and will obfuscate the password.
4. Run the mkwg -Z command from a command line from any directory.
5. Check the wgdbms.conf file again and the passwords should be hashed / obfuscated.
6. Start the Connection Manager from either the command line - wgstart or start the IBM Connection Manager Service, or use the Gatekeeper to issue the Startup command on the Connection Manager object [right click the Connection Manager].
Please Note - there has been feedback that the user account used to access the database should be a local administrator account on the Windows server where the database is located.
For UNIX based Connection Managers
1. Stop Connection Manager [wgstop on Linux or stopsrc -s wgated on AIX]
2. Use appropriate method to update the database password locally or remotely for database(s).
3. Edit wgated.conf to update encrypted password for wpsstoredbadminpw with plain text new password . [Default path is \opt\ibm\ConnectionManager]
4. Run - mkwg -Z to set and encrypt the new password for IBM Mobile Connect.
5. Optional, update accounting database password, chwg -s ibm-wlGateway -l <gateway> -a acctdbadminpw=<new password>
6. Start Connection Manager [wgstart on Linux or startsrc -s wgated on AIX]
Internal Use OnlyThe login ID and/or password for a relational database often have to be changed for security. When this happens the IBM Mobile Connect (IMC) administrator needs a method to be able to update the login credentials IMC uses to connect to the configuration / active session or accounting databases.
16 June 2018