SupportPac CH15, the CICS Time Machine, is a tool that makes it easier for you to test time dependent CICS applications.
The CICS Time Machine uses XEIIN, XEIOUT and XPCFTCH, Global User Exit programs to create a virtual 'application' time zone for applications within a CICS Transaction Server for z/OS (CICS TS) region, while the rest of the z/OS image and the CICS software itself still use the real 'system' time. The exit programs provide conversion between the two time zones where times are passed from CICS to the application and vice-versa.
It is recommended that the CICS Time Machine be used only in test environments.
- Testing function that runs at an unsociable time of day
- Testing applications whose operation will change on a certain date because of new legal regulations
- Testing the effect of communications between CICS systems in different time zones
This CTMC transaction is designed be run from a 3270-type terminal with a 24 x 80 screen. It provides a very simple method of changing the date and time, as shown by the screen image below.
To change the date or time, simply modify the relevant input fields and press Enter. If a valid date and time are entered, the display will change to show 'System is using MODIFIED date/time'. If any of the fields are invalid, the fields in error will be highlighted and an error message will be displayed.
To resume using the current date and time (MVS system) in your CICS system, press PF6. The display will change to show 'System is using CURRENT date/time'.
Adding support for later releases of CICS TS
In relation to providing support for releases later than CICS TS 5.5, source file ch15.samp.cts53 is supplied as a sample code library for this SupportPac for CICS TS 5.3, or later. Therefore, ch15.samp.cts53 could be used as the basis for your own creation of support for later releases of CICS TS.
Skill Level Required
The following skill levels are recommended for anyone using this SupportPac:
- CICS Application Programming - intermediate skill
- CICS System Programming - intermediate skill
- Knowledge of your system and applications - intermediate skill
- Added support for CICS TS V5.5.
- Added support for CICS TS V5.4.
- Added support for CICS TS V5.3.
- Added support for CICS TS V4.2, V5.1, and V5.2.
- Tested against all releases of CICS TS from V4.1 onwards.
- Removed support for CICS TS V3.1, and V3.2 (as these releases are out of service).
- Removed the release independent loadlib. 0ne individual load library for each CICS TS version is provided.
Author: Peter Klein (originally Steve Collins), CICS Development, IBM Deutschland GmbH (Mainz).
Last Updated: 22Jan19
Current Version: 2.5.2
The SupportPac requires CICS Transaction Server for z/OS V4.1, or later.
- Click on the FTP link below and save the compressed file to your local machine.
- Extract the saved file to a temporary directory on your local machine. This will create the necessary installation, documentation, and license files.
- Follow the instructions in the included documentation to complete installation of this SupportPac on your host system.
SupportPacs in this category are available at no charge to all licensed users of the CICS family products on the platforms specified in the SupportPac description. These SupportPacs are provided "AS-IS" (under the terms and conditions of the IBM International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs and of the associated License Information and other documentation). The terms and conditions of this license DO NOT provide for any entitlement to defect correction.
To determine if you want to use this SupportPac, read the accompanying license file.
Other CICS SupportPacs
To view the complete portfolio of CICS SupportPacs, go to the
CICS SupportPacs Home Page
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server
Was this topic helpful?
27 April 2021