An attempt to use the OSA-Express Network Traffic Analyzer (OSAENTA) tracing facility on OSA adapters is not successful. The OSA adapters are at the correct microcode level, but the VARY TCPIP,,OSAENTA command does not take effect.
One of the following sets of messages are displayed after the command is entered:
EZZ0053I COMMAND VARY OSAENTA COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
EZD0020I ERROR 0003 - ENABLING OSAENTA TRACE FOR xxxxxxxx
EZD0018I OSAENTA TRACE DISABLED FOR xxxxxxxx
EZZ0053I COMMAND VARY OSAENTA COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
EZZ4336I ERROR DURING ACTIVATION OF INTERFACE EZANTAxxxxxxxx - CODE
8010302D DIAGNOSTIC CODE 02
The EZD0020I message reports the OSA NTA Error Code 0003, which indicates that the LPAR where the command was issued has not been authorized to use this facility.
- NOTE: When a new OSA-Express2 device is installed on the system, the default setting allows OSAENTA tracing of records associated with the requesting LPAR. For z/9 processors, upgrading existing devices from microcode levels before 08.7B will be initialized to not allow this facility from any LPAR.
Diagnosing The Problem
- LPAR, for only those records associated with the requesting LPAR
- PORT, which allows records for all activity for this one OSA port (not restricted to one LPAR). This is applicable only to OSA Express3 or Express4S models that have multiple ports on a single CHPID.
- CHPID, which allows records for all activity on the OSA (not restricted to one LPAR)
- NONE. With this setting, no OSA NTA traces are allowed and the 0003 error code results.
The authorization to use OSAENTA is specified in the OSA-Express NTA SE Controls dialog on the Support Element console. The Check current OSA-Express Network Traffic Analyzer authorization action allows selection of one of the following settings:
This can be confirmed with a DISPLAY NET,ID=osatrlename command. All of the data devices listed will have an ACTIVE status and there will not be any with a RESET status. The following example shows the output when only one DATAPATH device is defined.
IST075I NAME = xxxxxxxx, TYPE = TRLE
IST486I STATUS= ACTIV, DESIRED STATE= ACTIV
IST087I TYPE = LEASED , CONTROL = MPC , HPDT = YES
IST1954I TRL MAJOR NODE = xxxxxxxx
IST1715I MPCLEVEL = QDIO MPCUSAGE = SHARE
IST2263I PORTNAME = xxxxxxxx PORTNUM = x OSA CODE LEVEL = xxxx
IST2337I CHPID TYPE = OSD CHPID = xx
IST1577I HEADER SIZE = 4096 DATA SIZE = 0 STORAGE = ***NA***
IST1221I WRITE DEV = xxxx STATUS = ACTIVE STATE = ONLINE
IST1577I HEADER SIZE = 4092 DATA SIZE = 0 STORAGE = ***NA***
IST1221I READ DEV = xxxx STATUS = ACTIVE STATE = ONLINE
IST1221I DATA DEV = xxxx STATUS = ACTIVE STATE = N/A
IST1724I I/O TRACE = OFF TRACE LENGTH = *NA*
IST1717I ULPID = xxxxxxxx ULP INTERFACE = xxxxxxxx
IST2310I ACCELERATED ROUTING DISABLED
IST2331I QUEUE QUEUE READ QUEUE
IST2332I ID TYPE STORAGE STATUS
IST2205I ------ -------- --------------- ----------------------
IST2333I RD/1 PRIMARY 4.0M(64 SBALS) ACTIVE
IST2305I NUMBER OF DISCARDED INBOUND READ BUFFERS = 0
IST1757I PRIORITY1: UNCONGESTED PRIORITY2: UNCONGESTED
IST1757I PRIORITY3: UNCONGESTED PRIORITY4: UNCONGESTED
IST2190I DEVICEID PARAMETER FOR OSAENTA TRACE COMMAND = xx-xx-xx-xx
IST1801I UNITS OF WORK FOR NCB AT ADDRESS X'xxxxxxxx'
IST1802I P1 CURRENT = xx AVERAGE = xx MAXIMUM = xx
IST1802I P2 CURRENT = xx AVERAGE = xx MAXIMUM = xx
IST1802I P3 CURRENT = xx AVERAGE = xx MAXIMUM = xx
IST1802I P4 CURRENT = xx AVERAGE = xx MAXIMUM = xx
IST1500I STATE TRACE = OFF
Resolving The Problem
To correct the setting of the NTA Authorization, see the Support Element Operations Guide of the appropriate processor model (System z9, z10, z114, z196, z12, z13, or z14) for detailed steps to change this setting and other additional information (available through ResourceLink).
Complete the following steps:
- Verify the set of device numbers available for the OSA's CHPID. This can be done with a DISPLAY M=CHP(xx) command, where xx is the CHPID listed in the above TRLE output (on the IST2337I message). The output will be similar to the following:
IEE174I 13.24.40 DISPLAY M
CHPID D4: TYPE=11, DESC=OSA DIRECT EXPRESS, ONLINE
DEVICE STATUS FOR CHANNEL PATH D4
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
2E2 + + + . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SWITCH DEVICE NUMBER = NONE
PHYSICAL CHANNEL ID = 01A0
************************ SYMBOL EXPLANATIONS ************************
+ ONLINE @ PATH NOT VALIDATED - OFFLINE . DOES NOT EXIST
* PHYSICALLY ONLINE $ PATH NOT OPERATIONAL
- Determine how many devices are needed for normal activity. This will be two devices (Read and Write) for each port plus one (Data) for each use of this port. Examine the output of the earlier TRLE display to see what device numbers (Read, Write, and all Data) are being used. If this OSA is a model that has two ports per CHPID, check the display from both TRLEs.
- If the display of the CHPID lists more devices online ('+') than the number currently being used by the TRLEs, select one of the unused numbers. If all online devices are in use but there are some offline devices ('-'), do a VARY xxxx,ONLINE command to make it available and use that device number in the following step. Also, make the necessary changes to ensure this device is brought online automatically with future IPLs.
If no other device numbers exist for the CHPID (which is the case in the above display), a change to the I/O definition for this LPAR is needed to add more devices to this CHPID. See the HCD Planning manual for the steps needed to do this without an IPL. Use the new device number in the following step.
- Edit the VTAM Major Node definition that contains the OSA's TRLE. Add the identified device number to the DATAPATH specification.
Continue with the following steps to activate this change dynamically:
- Issue a VARY TCPIP,,STOP,osaname command. If there are multiple TCP/IP stacks on the LPAR that share this OSA port, this needs to be done for each stack.
- Wait for two minutes after the EZZ4315I message from the last STOP command for the Read and Write devices to be reset. This can be confirmed by displaying the OSA's TRLE.
- Issue a VARY NET,ACT,ID=majornodename,UPDATE=ADD command to apply the update.
- Issue the VARY TCPIP,,START,osaname commands.
Was this topic helpful?
15 June 2018