Activating the license certificate file for Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition

To establish direct client connection to the Db2® for z/OS® or Db2 for i servers, you can activate the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition license certificate file on the corresponding Db2 for z/OS subsystem or Db2 for i server.

About this task

You can use the db2connectactivate utility to activate the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition license on the Db2 for z/OS or Db2 for i server. This utility is used to avoid applying the Db2 Connect license on each database client that directly connects to the server. If you are connecting to the Db2 for z/OS database, you can activate the license certificate file for Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System z® on any z/OS subsystem or data sharing group that you want to access directly. If you are connecting to the Db2 for IBM® i database, you can activate the license certificate file for Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System i® that you want to access directly.

If you want to access System z or System i servers through a Db2 Connect gateway server, apply the Db2 Connect license in the same manner as the other Db2 product licenses.

When the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for zSeries license certificate file is activated with the db2connectactivate utility on the Db2 for z/OS, Version 9.7 fix pack 3 and later clients can access the database.

When the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries license certificate file is activated with the db2connectactivate utility on the Db2 for i database, Version 10.5 and later clients can access the database.

You can activate the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries license certificate file on the Db2 for i V6R1 or later (PTF SI49652).

Before you run the db2connectactivate utility, you must ensure that the Java™ Runtime Environment is available on the workstation.

Procedure

To activate the license certificate file on a Db2 for z/OS subsystem or Db2 for i server, use the db2connectactivate utility as follows:

1. Obtain the activation CD image for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition software. Download the activation CD image for Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for zSeries or Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries that you purchased from the Passport Advantage® website: http://www.ibm.com/software/lotus/passportadvantage/.
    You can obtain the activation CD part number from the technote site: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21305417
  2. Extract the compressed activation CD image.
  3. Change the path to the license subdirectory in the extracted activation CD image.
    • On Linux® and UNIX operating systems:
      • The activation CD image for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for zSeries software: activation_cd_root/consv_zs/db2/license
      • The activation CD image for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries software: activation_cd_root/consv_is/db2/license
    • On Windows operating systems:
      • The activation CD image for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for zSeries software: activation_cd_root\consv_zs\db2\license
      • The activation CD image for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries software: activation_cd_root\consv_is\db2\license
  4. From the license subdirectory, run the db2connectactivate utility with the appropriate options.
    The following example demonstrates the use of the db2connectactivate utility:
    • On Linux and UNIX operating systems - db2connectactivate.sh -host host_name -port port_number -database database_name -user userid -password password
    • On Windows operating systems - db2connectactivate -host host_name -port port_number -database database_name -user userid -password password

The license certificate file name for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for zSeries software is db2consv_zs.lic.

The license certificate file name for the Db2 Connect Unlimited Edition for iSeries software is db2consv_is.lic.

For more information, see the db2connectactivate server license activation utility topic.