Actionable threat intelligence can help your agency allocate resources, understand relevant threats, and bolster your security strategy. The annual IBM X-Force® Threat Intelligence Index sheds light on the biggest cyber risks that agencies face today. Gain fresh insights on the trends shaping the threat landscape, including:
- The #1 threat was ransomware. Ransomware was the top threat type, comprising 23% of attacks.
- $123 million+ in estimated profit by a single ransomware. Threat actors behind the Sodinokibi (aka, REvil) ransomware reaped profits up to $123 million and stole 21.6 terabytes of data.
- 35% of attacks leveraged vulnerabilities to infiltrate targets. Scan-and-exploit was the number one initial infection vector, surpassing phishing, the top threat vector in 2019.
- COVID-19 provided opportunity for threat actors. The global pandemic gave sophisticated attackers fresh targets, including organizations involved in the vaccine supply chain.
- Cybercriminals are moving to the cloud. With an increase in cloud spending in wake of the pandemic and Linux currently powering 90% of cloud workloads, attackers are recognizing the benefits of open-source malware.