Learn about “Summit” and new server and processor
technology—called POWER9—built specifically for compute-intensive
Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads. Summit is about 200,000 times
more powerful than the average laptop!
It was recently ranked as #1 on the Top500 Supercomputers list published
late June 2018.
This Activity Kit includes a presentation on AI and background to help
students understand Summit and about
Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Deep
Learning. Over the last few years the term ‘Deep Learning’
has firmly worked its way into business language when the conversation is
about Artificial Intelligence (AI),
BigData, and Analytics.
- Ages 14-19 (Secondary/high school students)
What’s the goal of this kit?
- Better understand AI and how government and business can implement
in applications that benefit our daily lives
- Explain about Summit, the #1 Supercomputer and its technology.
Having a clearer understanding of what this incredible
system is really used for and some of the key underlying
technologies that make it so powerful…especially for
- Overview Deep Learning and what it is, including Power AI technology
Why is this topic important?
- Today, we live in a world awash in data; our society has truly
become “data-centric”. Better understanding data,
what new technologies are being applied to get far more use and
insight from all that data will help students
as they move into their careers.
- We see new forms of data coming from innumerable sources,
directions, and speeds. In addition to more traditional
technical computing environments such as High Performance Computing
(HPC; aka “supercomputing”) used to solve
very large, complex mathematical models, we are now employing much
of those same technologies to apply to new
forms of advanced data analytics.
What do I need to know about this activity?
- Some background on Systems and understanding of AI will be
helpful. But you don’t need to be an SME to talk
w/ the students about Summit and AI. The notes in the
presentation will provide details to share
- This activity is ideal for volunteers who…
… enjoy working with students.
- … have a background or interest in servers, AI or
- IBMers can apply volunteering hours to their THINK40 total.